how to have phone service without connect phone cable to modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilman

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
I have a phone line connected to my modem. I would like to have a new modem without the telephone connection. What do I need to do to reconnect the phone service provided by this telephone cable? It appears my phone only works when connected to the modem. I want to eliminate this connection and still have phone service. Thank you for your help

Solution
Call your service provider. If your phone is connected to a modem then it is likely because your phone service is being provided through your cable company, and your phone line goes through an internet connection in order to work. If you do not want to connect directly to the modem then you should be able to plug the modem into any home phone jack, and then plug your phones into any of the other phone jacks in your home for normal use.

Another thing that can be happening is that you have some form of DSL internet service, which requires DSL phone/internet filters for each device plugging into a phone jack. The only way to get around this would be to move your internet service to a different provider (or medium), cancel your DSL, and...
Call your service provider. If your phone is connected to a modem then it is likely because your phone service is being provided through your cable company, and your phone line goes through an internet connection in order to work. If you do not want to connect directly to the modem then you should be able to plug the modem into any home phone jack, and then plug your phones into any of the other phone jacks in your home for normal use.

Another thing that can be happening is that you have some form of DSL internet service, which requires DSL phone/internet filters for each device plugging into a phone jack. The only way to get around this would be to move your internet service to a different provider (or medium), cancel your DSL, and then you should be able to use your regular phone wall jacks like normal.

Either way you will need to contact your provider. They should be able to help you with this.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.