How to have turbo boost always on, on i5 2500k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hey guys I have the gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 and I found the intel turbo boost in the bios and I change it to enable but it sill runs at 1.6ghz on idle. Is it possible to have it run 3.6ghz always or is 3.3ghz the most If i want to have it always on ? I dont want it to speedstep. How would I go to turn this off in bios, I thought switching the turbo to enable would do it, maybe I got to set it to disabled but then its going to be at 3.3ghz I believe.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The difference between different brands of paste is surprisingly small. You'll see companies make all kinds of claims about how advanced their compounds are, but in the end there's little to no benefit (aside from nonconductivity in some pastes). Really low quality pastes can be a problem, but the difference between a tube of Arctic Silver and any other high end paste is around 1 degree.

Far more important than which paste you use is how you apply it. If you use too much, or not enough, your temperatures will be much higher than had you applied it properly.

grab a http://www.reuk.co.uk/Kill-a-Watt.htm
and math link,
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html
then do a little math and tell Dad exactly how many units your Pc uses, he can get the unit price off the latest bill and figure how Evil your Pc isn't :p
<According to Hwm, my package is 17w at idle and drinks 110w fullbore
Moto

Try with all the normal settings but without C1E.

That was the fix for some X58 gigabyte boards. It was coil whine from he rapid voltage swings that modern cpus request to stay both power efficient and have power as soon as it is needed,

That said, coil buzz does not actually mean a component will fail.

I have seen many video cards with this problem and it has never effected performance or longevity of the card it self.

Some users are lucky and can not even hear coil whine and some coils vibrate at a frequency humans can not hear(all of these coils vibrate, it just a matter of if you hear it). It is almost luck of the draw.