How to hit 4Ghz on Ryzen 7 1700

Kobrax

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
Hi, so I currently have my Ryzen 7 1700 stable at 3.9Ghz at just 1.3v

And by stable I mean 8 hours of small FFTs and 24 hours of Blend in prime 95. Temps rarely hit 60 degrees and only go mid to high 60s during the small fft test never through general use and gaming. I got lucky with this chip.

But I'm struggling to get 4Ghz stable. I can boot fine even at 1.3v but crashes during Cinebench. At 1.375v it runs Cinebench fine but one core will fail after 5 mins during blend test. Same at 1.875v and again at 1.4v

What else can I do to stabilise 4Ghz as I think I can by the looks of things. What can I do in Bios to help stabilise 4Ghz and is it worth it? To increase the vcore from 1.3 to 1.375 and beyond for 100mhz extra performance.

I have an
Ryzen 7 1700
MSI X370 power gaming titanium motherboard
16GB G Skill Flare X running at 3200
GTX 1070

Solution

Ultimately, we are only talking about a 2.5% difference in clocks here, and the actual real-world performance gains will be less than that. So any performance difference should be pretty much imperceptible, and might not be worth spending a lot of time on, particularly if it results in the processor creating more heat and noise than it has to.

mrfungi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
You could try changing the LLC setting in the bios to help stabilize. You'd have to toy around with each mode but you will have to be careful and keep an eye on the voltages and adjust accordingly. HWMonitor is good for monitoring this, if you don't have it already. If you don't know much about LLC setting in BIOS this might help https://www.msi.com/blog/why-llc-is-your-friend-when-overclocking https://www.msi.com/blog/why-llc-is-your-friend-when-overclocking

As for whether or not 4ghz is worth it is down to you and what it means to you. You'd also have to stress/performance test it as well to see if it's stable and safe enough to maintain, of course. I'd recommend AIDA64 for system stressing to test overall stability. Some would say .1ghz is not worth it, some would say it is. Your motherboard is good enough for it and we overclock for this reason, so I'd say crack on :)

Ultimately, we are only talking about a 2.5% difference in clocks here, and the actual real-world performance gains will be less than that. So any performance difference should be pretty much imperceptible, and might not be worth spending a lot of time on, particularly if it results in the processor creating more heat and noise than it has to.

Solution

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012

But it matters in gaming if a rysen runs at 3.9ghz or 4.0ghz, not for multitasking

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Actually, no it does not make a difference in gaming either. And what resolution are you referring? If gaming at any resolution higher than 1080P (e.g., 1440P, 4K, etc.), then no, it doesn't matter and will be GPU limited.