[SOLVED] How to hold a motherboard

Solution
Best to hold it by the edges.
Ultimately, you need to place it in a case where you can no longer hold it by the edges.
Holding on to a solidly attached part like a heat sink is what you must do.

If you touch your hand to a solid part of the case you will dissipate any static.
Anti static wrist straps are not really needed.
Don't be too scared... just watch a few un-boxing or system build youtube videos and you'll see that they are remarkably tolerant of sometimes seriously bad handling. That said, just be careful...pick up by edges and avoid use of heatsinks, connectors or other board-mounted devices as 'handles'.

And while you could probably get by without a wrist strap using some simple precautions will go a long way to prevent static damage. First, keep the board in the static-safe bag it shipped in until you're ready to put it into the case. Second...before sticking a hand inside the bag to get it out discharge any static charge on your body and clothes to something big and metallic like the case itself by touching it for a few seconds. Third...stand still while handling it, that is don't shuffle your feet or move about.

And whatever you do, hold tools firmly. I can't count how many times I've heard of people dropping a screw driver point first onto the motherboard while installing the screws.

Best to hold it by the edges.
Ultimately, you need to place it in a case where you can no longer hold it by the edges.
Holding on to a solidly attached part like a heat sink is what you must do.

If you touch your hand to a solid part of the case you will dissipate any static.
Anti static wrist straps are not really needed.

Solution
Which part of it is safe to be hold?

primarily ppl hold em by the bottom and side. (where none of the parts that can easily break off are)
and after you have CPU heatink tightened down by that (since its basically most secure and stable part at that point if tightened properly)

They arent THAT fragile (Linus from LTT has even dropped em and still worked but i dotn advise doing that) and as long as your not wearing socks on carpet or some clothign that knowingly generates static you'll be fine.

bigmak1969

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
primarily ppl hold em by the bottom and side. (where none of the parts that can easily break off are)
and after you have CPU heatink tightened down by that (since its basically most secure and stable part at that point if tightened properly)

They arent THAT fragile (Linus from LTT has even dropped em and still worked but i dotn advise doing that) and as long as your not wearing socks on carpet or some clothign that knowingly generates static you'll be fine.
Linus drops everything