How to host a server using my personal connection AND have it be protected from DDOS

HexxiumGaming

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
As of March 1st, my ISP will be automatically bumping our internet speed to 1Gb/s up and down, as a result, I plan on using my secondary PC for server hosting of various games. I know how to go about setting those games up to be open to the world for people to join, but what can I do to protect the server from being DDOSed? If I can run it through a vpn, would you recommend that? If so, please advise on it, or whatever is best.

Solution
I run a server, hosting various games that I or the group is playing with.

You should have no trouble with DDoS attacks, unless theres people out there who really don't like you.
Just make sure all your server side stuff has a good password, if you enable web admin for your games, ensure its got a good password.

But like USAFRet mentioned, it's pretty much impossible to be fully protected from a DDoS and using a VPN is not ideal for a gaming server.

USAFRet

Titan

"...AND have it be protected from DDOS"

You can't.
We can go into more detail if you wish, but there is literally nothing you can do at the consumer level to prevent a DDOS.

Well...ok...one thing. Don't piss people off.

warhead0

Distinguished
I run a server, hosting various games that I or the group is playing with.

You should have no trouble with DDoS attacks, unless theres people out there who really don't like you.
Just make sure all your server side stuff has a good password, if you enable web admin for your games, ensure its got a good password.

But like USAFRet mentioned, it's pretty much impossible to be fully protected from a DDoS and using a VPN is not ideal for a gaming server.

Solution