[SOLVED] How to i change what card my programs use?

jarismic

Commendable
Nov 1, 2018
I currently have two monitors, my main one is connected to my Radeon RX550, which i use for gaming. My other is connected to my Geforce GT 610, which i use for web browsing, youtube, editing, etc.

The problem is, i want to be able to use my RX550 for editing (photoshop) instead of my lower budget GT 610 because my 550 makes photoshop run alot smoother. when my 610 is disabled and only my 550 is being used, photoshop uses it, however once i re-enable the 610 photoshop automatically uses that instead and slows down photoshop heavily. I tried changing the photoshop setting in preferences so that i can change the card, but it doesn't see the 610 as even being there so i'm not given the option to change. I tried using the Geforce Panel, but since they are both different brand cards, i can't use that to select what one photoshop uses.

Any idea how to fix this issue and have Photoshop run on my other card?
g5Dbymg.png
F9xvo9n.png

Solution
I think you're going to have to remove the weaker card and just have the RX550 installed (with both monitors connected to it).
Having two cards installed just so you can use two monitors just doesn't make sense when the RX550 itself supports more than two.
I think you're going to have to remove the weaker card and just have the RX550 installed (with both monitors connected to it).
Having two cards installed just so you can use two monitors just doesn't make sense when the RX550 itself supports more than two.

Solution

jarismic

Commendable
Nov 1, 2018

I would use just the 550 for both, but one of the monitors is an old one with a VGA which the 550 doesn't have

I would use just the 550 for both, but one of the monitors is an old one with a VGA which the 550 doesn't have

You can get VGA-to-DVI monitor adapters/converters to get round that problem ---- many of our members have bought one to avoid having to buy a new monitor.
Adapter will need to be an "Active" one (converts digital to analog) if the card's DVI port is DVI-D.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

jarismic

Commendable
Nov 1, 2018
You can get VGA-to-DVI monitor adapters/converters to get round that problem ---- many of our members have bought one to avoid having to buy a new monitor.
Adapter will need to be an "Active" one (converts digital to analog) if the card's DVI port is DVI-D.
how do i tell the difference between the two and what one i need?

TRENDING THREADS