[SOLVED] How to I stop sudden FPS drops?

Aug 2, 2019
I play fortnite and my pc can run it at mostly 100-144 fps but when Im in the air or in a fight my frames suddenly drop to 20-30 fps and causes my game to freeze. Heres my specs
-Ryzen 5 2400g
-Aorus Radeon Rx 580
-ASUS b450m-a prime
-EVGA 500w power supply
-4gs of ripjaw g skill Ram
-6 uphere fans

Solution
Check your system memory usage in task manager as you are playing the game, looking down at the map may cause too much of the map to load leading you to run out of available ram, leading to an FPS drop. 4GB of system memory is too little for most games, I'd recommend buying at least another 4GB stick or better yet an 8GB stick.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Check your system memory usage in task manager as you are playing the game, looking down at the map may cause too much of the map to load leading you to run out of available ram, leading to an FPS drop. 4GB of system memory is too little for most games, I'd recommend buying at least another 4GB stick or better yet an 8GB stick.

Solution
Aug 2, 2019
Ok I was wrong, I have 8gb of ram and I checked my usage during a game and it was using 7gb, I also checked my cpu temp and it was 61 F-71 F so could that have anything to do with it?

Aug 2, 2019
Ok thanks, I should be upgrading to 16gb of ram soon, I also want to lower my cpu temp, I didn't apply thermal paste but I hear AMD processors have it pre applied, is there a way I can lower it? I get 50 C-60 C not in game
Using 7GB of ram could still be the issue, the game may be maxing out

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Ok thanks, I should be upgrading to 16gb of ram soon, I also want to lower my cpu temp, I didn't apply thermal paste but I hear AMD processors have it pre applied, is there a way I can lower it? I get 50 C-60 C not in game
You can remove the CPU cooler and reapply thermal paste after cleaning off the old stuff with alcohol, use a quality paste like Arctic MX4 or Arctic Silver 5

TRENDING THREADS