Question How to identify a faulty PSU

Mar 24, 2021
Hi guys,

Here is my last post regarding this issue.

I have purchased a new PSU and my pc is running fine for the last two days. I have done 3 hours of gaming yesterday and about 4 hours of work this morning so far, everything seems be good. So I think I can pretty much conclude that my issue was caused by PSU.

But out of curious I also bought a power supply tester (the most common voltage reading type) and decide to test my old PSU.

First I tried on a 8 years old Nzxt (thought it was dead when I upgrade my wife's computer 3 years ago, just sitting there not used since then), all read of voltage are exactly on the spot of 3.3, 5, and 12 Volt , green light on when I try Sata cable and the fan cable as well.
Then I tried my thought to be dead HX1000i, the reading is a little different, 3.2, 4.9, 11.8 volt, but still within parameter per instruction. Green light also on when tested Sata and Fan. Since this one is modular I tried all the socket on PSU but all getting the same reading.

Does that indicate both old PSU are good? Or is there any other way to tell? I'm really confused.
By the way I also tested the Nzxt in my computer, it wont even power up; and the HX1000i was able to power up the PC, all fan spinning normally but mobo cant pass self check, with vga light on and no display, with either GPU.
I also tried my thought to be fried Vega 56 GPU with the new PSU, it can power up with all fan running but no display (like it was with the HX1000I), but my old R9 390X can run with no problem.

Thank you.

Mar 24, 2021
Did you use any power cables from the original/old PSU or otherwise swap in different cables between PSUs?

Old Nzxt is not modular. HX1000i is with it's original cable, as well as the new RMx750.
They are all tested with it's original cable.
I also tried the cable from my old EVGA with the HX1000i, not working in PC but good reading on tester.

Ralston18

Titan
The PSU's ( Nzxtand HX1000i) both appear to be able to provide the voltages.

However, when actual power is needed neither one of the old PSUs is unable, for whatever reason, able to provide power.

The new PSU is able to provide the necessary voltages and to provide the power requirements needed by the pc. That is the good news.

The bad news:

The "thought to be fried" Vega 56 likely was fried. The R9 390X was apparently more fortunate.....

Overall properly recycle the Nzxt and HX1000i PSUs.

I would not risk using them in another computer.

Mar 24, 2021
Thanks for the conclusion.
It is that "whatever reason" really bothers me. Was hoping the tester can give me a simple good or bad answer but it just gives me more questions.