How to identify the exact device? (Networking and Cyber security)

Sanone

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I am a student learning networking (including cyber security). I have this question. Here is a scenario to make the question easier to understand.
- A house network is shared with 3 tenants T1, T2, T3
- T2 tenant engages in the malicious activities

Now, I know that router will send the requests and when a response is received, the router will know which device to deliver the response to. As I know, router will send requests but will have only the mac address of the router and the ipv4 address of the router. Cyber Security Analysts can identify which location the activity has initiated but won't be able to find which tenant to accuse. (Well I know the owner of the network is liable, but let's keep that fact aside). How can we identify the device in question?

Hi my scenario mentioned is for educational purposes only. I am a student of University of London and currently working on the "Data Communication and Networking". Theoretically I see that when a Device from a collection of devices communicates with the outside world, the data goes through the router, and with NAT, router knows which device is waiting for the response. Router only shares the IP address and Mac Address of the router. Is there a way for an outside party (e.g ISP) to locate and identify which device it was communicating? As far as I know, ISP (or any other external party) can only identify the location, which is your address.

Assumption: Browser doesn't share the OS details, pc name, ip address of the device and no VPN is being used.