[SOLVED] How to identify which SSD is correct for the motherboard

May 30, 2021
I have a MSI B450M PRO M2 MAX. I want to add an SSD to it but cannot understand how the compatibility works. Can someone explain what kind of SSDs does my motherboard support with suitable examples.

From the Storage section of the user manual-

AMD® B450 Chipset y 4x SATA 6Gb/s ports* Supports RAID 0, RAID1 and RAID 10 y 1x M.2 slot (Key M) Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) or PCIe 3.0 x2 (AMD® Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics)and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260 /2280 storage devices

Solution
You can use any ssd you want.
On a gross level, they all perform similarly.
You can use a standard 2.5" ssd connected via sata data and power cable, just like a HDD
You can use a m.2 ssd which is about the size of a stick of gum.
It inserts into a slot in the motherboard and requires no power or data connections.
M.2 comes in sata and pcie flavors. Benchmarks will show pcie connection to be some 4-6x faster than sata,
But most activity will be random so you may not notice much difference,
Here is an amusing video to make that point:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA
You can use any ssd you want.
On a gross level, they all perform similarly.
You can use a standard 2.5" ssd connected via sata data and power cable, just like a HDD
You can use a m.2 ssd which is about the size of a stick of gum.
It inserts into a slot in the motherboard and requires no power or data connections.
M.2 comes in sata and pcie flavors. Benchmarks will show pcie connection to be some 4-6x faster than sata,
But most activity will be random so you may not notice much difference,
Here is an amusing video to make that point:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

Solution
I have a MSI B450M PRO M2 MAX. I want to add an SSD to it but cannot understand how the compatibility works. Can someone explain what kind of SSDs does my motherboard support with suitable examples.

From the Storage section of the user manual-

AMD® B450 Chipset y 4x SATA 6Gb/s ports* Supports RAID 0, RAID1 and RAID 10 y 1x M.2 slot (Key M) Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) or PCIe 3.0 x2 (AMD® Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics)and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260 /2280 storage devices
Connecting to SATA ports, it's not different than using mechanical HDD, same connectors.

Reactions: iamktk