How to improve built in graphics for a laptop

G

i would like to upgrade 3d graphics on my compaq presario CQ56

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
If your graphics card is integrated, your fucked man. The only thing you can do at that point is just get a new computer, as you would have to replace your whole goddam motherboard if it was integrated, so your better off getting a new computer all together. If its not (rarely in a laptop), then you can try finding graphics cards online and search to see if it would be compatible with your laptop (not all cards will fit). Honestly, your just better off getting a new computer...

emmanuelxian07

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Haha.. Sorry dude but I would have to agree with nadim615. That's the reason why I'd prefer desktop computers over laptops at any given time. If you want to be able to upgrade, buy a desktop computer. If you just want to work or have the convenience of carrying a computer around for one reason or another, make sure the laptop you buy is enough to do the job - no upgrades needed.

If it is old and the gpu is integrated sadly you are out of luck. If it is discrete it can be overclocked but only a small fraction of the laptops out there can be upgraded but support is limited.

For you there is no chance of upgrading but you could try overclocking with msi afterburner if the option is there and the clocks are not locked.

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Yea as emmanuel said, wayyy better off getting a desktop. I learned my lesson, hardcore. I've been through 2 laptops in the past 3 years. Its a pain in the ass! you cant upgrade ***! Honestly, I've only been getting a laptop cuz my parents are divorced, moving the comp around, etc. pain. But, its worth the desktop. Easy upgrades, cheaper for the computer itself, etc. And what nforce said about overclocking, I honestly wouldn't reccomend overclocking a laptop (especially one thats not designed for gaming) as you could risk completely blowing out your CPU. Even if you have a gaming laptop (or desktop) I still wouldnt reccomend it, as it does shorten CPU life. But its completely up to you, just my opinion.

Shorten life not really a typical quality of a cpu is around 10 years of operating life and that is standard with the industry but in real life they can last for decades. The gpu on his laptop is an igp overclocking with in safe limits according to temps is safe unlike nuking a discrete on a laptop when things are already overheated as for your own luck most laptops are built very cheap and have been that way since the late 90s. Prior to that they were built better than what most could afford. The late 80s were built better than tanks but they were only considered portable if there was a wall socket around but lasted longer than was any use for them. Modern laptops are made to fail once the warranty is up or close to it. General habits of most users don't help when they allow their gear to overheat when they refuse any regular maintenance while throwing around and abusing their gear. Apple laptops are not much better than pc laptops and have taken a few apart in my time. Overclocking desktops is more or less harmless when one knows what they are doing and people got no balls to really push their systems or to do it right so that it is reliable.