[SOLVED] How to improve my internet speed (Virgin Hub 3.0)?

lilson89

Commendable
Jan 24, 2020
Hi there I have recently moved to new house (UK) and got new broadband vivid 350mbps. Max speed i could achive on speed test is 25mbps on my computer. Lets start off from a fact that my phone being in the same room as router (Virgin media hub 3.0) easily can get 350+ speeds but in my room which is just next room (approx 5 meters away from router) gets down to 50 mbps. I dont understand this sudden change. While using PC signal is strong all bars but still speed is really slow. My network adapter is Ralink (only 2.4GHz). Should I consider boosting my wifi by a wifi extender? Or change my network adapter to 5Ghz at first?
I would be greatly thankful if someone smart could spare some time to investigate this please.

Wojciech

Solution
Don't believe the numbers they router vendors put on the box. They are marketing numbers that do not represent real world conditions.

You will be very lucky to get 100mbps on 2.4g. Your phone likely connected on 5g.

Look at this site to get a more realistic view of what you can expect.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

You could try 5g all depends how much the wall absorbs. 5g is more easily absorbed but it is unpredictable because of so many variables of what the wall is made of.

A extender/repeater will not likely help. It must receive a good signal from the router. You have 2 choices you put it on the side of the router and it gets good signal but it still must pass the signal through the...

woutervdg629

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
So it sounds like you're losing most of your bandwidth through the wall. That means that you should get a wifi extender for the other room. In this case it seems like a 5GHz frequency wouldn't really help all that much since that band has less of an ability to permeate through walls than the 2.4GHz frequency.

As for your laptop's internet speeds, the bars shown on the laptop mean relatively little. What is most important is what your laptops network card is rated for speed-wise. It may only have the capability to do say 100 megabytes/sec which would also further limit you.

The wifi extender is a good idea though.

lilson89

Commendable
Jan 24, 2020
My network adapter works on 802.11n protocol so I belive it should be capable of 350mbps? Also I used Wifi analyzer and it says my signal strength is around -60 dBm. Is this a good result ?

Don't believe the numbers they router vendors put on the box. They are marketing numbers that do not represent real world conditions.

You will be very lucky to get 100mbps on 2.4g. Your phone likely connected on 5g.

Look at this site to get a more realistic view of what you can expect.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

You could try 5g all depends how much the wall absorbs. 5g is more easily absorbed but it is unpredictable because of so many variables of what the wall is made of.

A extender/repeater will not likely help. It must receive a good signal from the router. You have 2 choices you put it on the side of the router and it gets good signal but it still must pass the signal through the wall. Or you put it on the far side of the wall but now it get poor signal form the router so the signal it sends to the pc is strong but the data that signals actually carries is still being lost going though the wall.

You need a way to get the signals though the wall. Best way is to run a ethernet cable through the wall but not a option for most. After that you try something like powerline networks or maybe Moca if you have tv coax in both rooms.

Solution