[SOLVED] How to improve PC/Overheating GPU ?

Feb 7, 2022
Stop spamming the forum
I have PC (specs down below) which I have had for 2/3 years. My GPU has been overheating to 94c after only an 30 mins of playing games such as Valorant and CSGO which makes my FPS in game go from 200-300 to not even getting above 100 (sometimes to 30). Before writing this, I have configured my settings, nvidia control panel, updated drivers and cleaned my fans. Nothing has fixed my bad fps problems. This makes me believe that it is either I have bad airflow, need more fans or a new GPU. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my PC/GPU or what new parts I need to get.

I also ran a PC benchmark test:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50307341

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-9700
RAM (Memory): 16GB
Storage Type: HDD+SSD
SSD Size: 256GB
Hard Drive Size: 2TB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Ports: USB 3.0 x 4, USB 2.0 x 2, HDMI x 1, DisplayPort x 1, DVI x 1, 3.5mm jack
2 fans (One on the rear, One for my CPU)

Solution
Hey there,

I'd start with doing a good clean of your case/internals. Get a can of compressed air, and blow out all the dust. Take out your GPU and do the same with the compressed air on the fans, and make sure all dust is gone.

Test again.

If you still have heat issues, then it could be worth replacing the thermal paste on the GPU. This is not easy to do. But it's not that difficult either.

Also, take off the side panel of your PC (if possible) and see/hear if the fans on your GPU are spinning as you would expect.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey there,

I'd start with doing a good clean of your case/internals. Get a can of compressed air, and blow out all the dust. Take out your GPU and do the same with the compressed air on the fans, and make sure all dust is gone.

Test again.

If you still have heat issues, then it could be worth replacing the thermal paste on the GPU. This is not easy to do. But it's not that difficult either.

Also, take off the side panel of your PC (if possible) and see/hear if the fans on your GPU are spinning as you would expect.

Solution
Feb 7, 2022
https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/pc-s...ted-graphics-windows-10-rfb-pcs-d1646060.html
Is that what the chassis looks like?

It should be shutting off on you.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212046/nvidia-rtx2070super-8192-190531
The throttle limit is 83C for the 2070 Super, with a critical limit(shut down) of 88C. Hotspot has a range up to 110C - you are probably looking at that. Are you monitoring thermals with hwinfo?

This is the exact PC build I have:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175116474148?hash=item28c5c15724:g:hlMAAOSw7dth5tNE

I haven't been monitoring thermals with hwinfo.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ohh, that's a Cooler Master MB600L.
The gpu is supposed to get its air through the honeycomb grille and rear PCIe slots, and exhaust up and out the rear fan. The front practically has no airflow to speak of.

You may need to ziptie a fan back there, similar to this - except the fan is facing the wrong way in the pic:
iu

Or it may just be better to replace the chassis with something more open - at the front especially.

Reactions: lordmogul
Feb 7, 2022
Hey there,

Test again.

Thank you, I will try replace the the thermal paste on the GPU, my fans on my GPU are no longer spinning.

Feb 7, 2022
Ohh, that's a Cooler Master MB600L.
The gpu is supposed to get its air through the honeycomb grille and rear PCIe slots, and exhaust up and out the rear fan. The front practically has no airflow to speak of.

You may need to ziptie a fan back there, similar to this - except the fan is facing the wrong way in the pic:
iu

Or it may just be better to replace the chassis with something more open - at the front especially.
Is it a big problem if my GPU fans are no longer spinning?

Feb 7, 2022
Intel Core i7-9700k Processor (9th Gen)
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING X
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh (3 pre built fans)
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 2x2400 RAM
NZXT X63 (2 fans + CPU Liquid Cooling)
NZXT AER RBG Single Fan (Rear)
EVGA 700 GD 700W PSU
2TB HDD
256GB SSD
Random ASUS Motherboard

Any motherboard recommendation/Any parts I need to upgrade?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022
Do you have spinning hard drives?

You can replace any given part for laughs regardless of expense if that is your inclination, but we don't know anything about your level of disappointment.

If any.

Only thing I'm worried about is my motherboard as it's a cheap $50 one, I've had for 4 years. How would a motherboard affect my performance?

Only thing I'm worried about is my motherboard as it's a cheap $50 one, I've had for 4 years. How would a motherboard affect my performance?

Cheap could last as long as expensive.

It's an unknown.

General advice is to run it till it drops if it does what you need it to do. You have not said otherwise.

Worry about other stuff....chocolate cake supply, who will win the Super Bowl, etc.

Best single thing you could do is replace spinning drives, but maybe you don't have any?

Feb 7, 2022
I have a i7-9700k and a 3060 Ti (GPU on the way) but i'm worried my motherboard might not be able to handle it.

Intel i7-9700k Processor
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X
ASUS H310-PLUS R2.0

If it can't handle it, what motherboard do you guys recommend?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Technically yes. Not sure I would want to run a 9700k on that board. No heatsinks on the very limited VRMs.

Also not that easy to recommend purchasing a 9700k vs picking up a 12400 and a B660 DDR4 motherboard.

If you can cancel your CPU order.

Retail price for the 9700k is $330

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ B&H)
Total: $328.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-09 16:55 EST-0500

Feb 7, 2022
That motherboard isn't going to allow you to get the most out of your 9700k, which in turn could affect gaming performance, with the 3060ti. The VRM's on that board are quite bad, and will most likely thermal throttle, lowering CPU clock speed/performance.

My 3060 Ti is new, the i7-9700k and H310 Motherboard are 2-3 years old. Should I get a new motherboard?

Feb 7, 2022
Oh, well, in that case. Carry on? Not ideal, but if it is working, then all is well.

Sounded like you were ordering upgrades to an existing system. Just make sure your power supply can handle the new GPU properly.

I was thinking of getting a new motherboard anyways. Do you have any recommendations?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't spend any money on it. Z370 or Z390 board to get the most out of it, but if you aren't planning on overclocking, not much reason to. Better VRMs and a decent CPU cooler and you can maybe add 200 or 300 Mhz to the max boost. Already runs at 4.9Ghz out of the box.

You would be looking at around $200 to get a new board. The rest are way too expensive for what they are.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nc...lga1151-motherboard-z390-phantom-gaming-sliac

And then you are only $100 from replacing the CPU too...

logainofhades

Titan
You have two options. Spend well over $200 for a good motherboard, or spend more to get something like an i7 12700/f, and a B660/Z690 board, and sell your old hardware, to make up the cost. Personally I would not invest $200+ into a dead platform. You would also possibly need a new CPU cooler, as well, unless your current one has an adapter for LGA1700.

I wouldn't recommend a phantom board. They have a history of poor VRM's.