Question How to improve Verizon 5G Home Internet slow speeds?

Max55gamerX

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I've had Verizon 5G Home Internet for a week and so far the connection has been good. It hasn't lost connection at any time.
But I haven't been getting the speeds I was lead to believe. 85 Mbps - 300 Mbps DL 10 Mbps+ UL
The first day I got it it went from 40 Mbps - 212 Mbps DL 10 Mbps - 14 Mbps UL
Since then my speeds have averaged 70 Mbps DL 6 Mcps - 10 Mbps UL

I have the: ARC-XCI55AX Gateway

It's Ethernet (Cat5E) connected to my Linksys AX1500 Max-Stream Router, which is Ethernet (Cat6) connected to my PC

My service works, but the speeds keep running slow.

I've reset, reboot, power cycle, repositioned the 5G Gateway. My router has also been power cycled, re booted. I'm waiting on a Verizon ticket.

But I would like to know if anyone else is having/had similar issues? Verizon 5G Home Internet having a strong signal, but the speeds being slow? Any way to fix this? Could it be a faulty gateway? Or do I need a antenna/booster?

FYI: the speed I'm getting is working for my needs. I just want to get the speeds I was promised.

Not sure why they advertise such big numbers when you pretty much only get that when you live under the cell tower.

You could try to put the router in a different window. You may also try to test different times of day since verizon home is actually a true unlimited plan there is a lot of usage. It also favors cell phone data traffic over the home unit it seems. So times like during rush hour when lots of cars are driving past the cell tower or lots of people are home from work watching 4k netflix your speeds will go down. Cell towers do not have a lot of bandwidth compared to the number of users they support.

I bet if you tried very early in the morning you will get better numbers.
I am very surprised you get rates that fast. I talked to someone where I used to live where there is no internet and the only option are WISP connections that have a very low data cap. It seems verizon home is now offered there and he was so happy that he could get 25mbps and watch hd netflix without worrying about a cap.

You really should only use a "wireless" internet system when you do not have a option to use a wired one. The wired ones pretty much now all get what they state and even a bit higher but even mine that is suppose to be 1gbit will sometime only test at 500-600mbps during times I suspect other people are also using internet.

Max55gamerX

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Not sure why they advertise such big numbers when you pretty much only get that when you live under the cell tower.

You could try to put the router in a different window. You may also try to test different times of day since verizon home is actually a true unlimited plan there is a lot of usage.
It also favors cell phone data traffic over the home unit it seems. So times like during rush hour when lots of cars are driving past the cell tower or lots of people are home from work watching 4k netflix your speeds will go down. Cell towers do not have a lot of bandwidth compared to the number of users they support.

I bet if you tried very early in the morning you will get better numbers.
I am very surprised you get rates that fast. I talked to someone where I used to live where there is no internet and the only option are WISP connections that have a very low data cap. It seems verizon home is now offered there and he was so happy that he could get 25mbps and watch hd netflix without worrying about a cap.

You really should only use a "wireless" internet system when you do not have a option to use a wired one. The wired ones pretty much now all get what they state and even a bit higher but even mine that is suppose to be 1gbit will sometime only test at 500-600mbps during times I suspect other people are also using internet.

The ARC-XCI55AX Gateway is placed in the best location I have available for it. If tested at various days and times. Like I posted, since I started it my speeds had averaged 70 Mbps DL & 10 Mbps UL. That's all day long, which is below the offered speeds.

The speeds I do get work for my internet needs. I also haven't had any connection loss. Which is very good.
I do/did have access to cable internet, but I'm tired of all the Spectrum BS, overpricing , constant need to up sell. So I decided to give Verizon 5G Home Internet a try. If I can get the speed issue ironed out, it'll be great.

Could is be I have a faulty ARC-XCI55AX Gateway that's not allowing my full speed?

I doubt the hardware is defective that would be extremely rare. In many ways I am surprised the cell technology had progressed to the point the ISP are now offering real unlimited plans.
Verizon has followed vendor like tmobile and rebranded a lot of stuff "5G" even though it is not the technology that can deliver close to gigabit speeds at lower latency. Verizon unlike tmobile does have that but it is still in very limited areas even in large cities.

As long as it is stable the speeds you get should be ok for what many people use internet for. Web surfing and watching video even at 4k will be fine. The things mostly impacted would be gaming. Gaming uses large bandwidth to download the huge games and then after they are installed it need extremely consistent latency for online game. Cell service does not work real well for gaming at times.

Mobile broadband has always "lied" about the rates more than other ISP technology. It was not as important since you are not going to download a 20gbyte game into your phone but when they start to offer home use large downloads are more common.

Max55gamerX

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I managed to get a solution to my problem today. According to Verizon, a tower was down/having issues. After a reset, my speeds have improved. My last speed test a couple minutes ago 125 Mbps DL 20 Mbps UL
More like I was expecting. :) If it stays like that of better, then everything would be great.

**update** those improved speeds only lasted a few hours. Now there back to 70 Mbps DL again.

Last edited: