How to improve web browsing speed?

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
Hi, I have very weak netbook, and I don't know it's worth to buy 2 gb ram stick, and ssd for better performance? Can I watch movies in web, and etc. without lag? My pc.:
Dell inspiron mini 1018
-1.66 Ghz Intel Atom
-1 gb ram
-250 gb hdd
-Integrated graphics.
I know it's crap, and I wanna know will ram and ssd helps?

Thanks.

Solution
It is a single core with hyper threading.
Maybe 480P youtube videos would run fine.
I have an old Pentium 4 at home with no hyper threading and it can only run 480P youtube video.
You need to install flash player and install an add-on on firefox in youtube flash player.
This will allow youtube videos to run in flash player instead of HTML.
Flash player will take less CPU power to run compared to HTML.
An SSD would be overkill for the laptop since the CPU is holding back the performance.
Are you running windows XP or 7.
1 GB RAM for XP is sufficient but windows 7 or later version require 2 GB to run smoothly.
So just get another 1 GB RAM stick to make it a total of 2 GB if you so desire to upgrade RAM.
My recommendation is to buy a new...

unreal9400

Distinguished
It is a single core with hyper threading.
Maybe 480P youtube videos would run fine.
I have an old Pentium 4 at home with no hyper threading and it can only run 480P youtube video.
You need to install flash player and install an add-on on firefox in youtube flash player.
This will allow youtube videos to run in flash player instead of HTML.
Flash player will take less CPU power to run compared to HTML.
An SSD would be overkill for the laptop since the CPU is holding back the performance.
Are you running windows XP or 7.
1 GB RAM for XP is sufficient but windows 7 or later version require 2 GB to run smoothly.
So just get another 1 GB RAM stick to make it a total of 2 GB if you so desire to upgrade RAM.
My recommendation is to buy a new laptop based on celeron or pentium if you are on budget and avoid intel atom.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Personally, I would not spend an money on this netbook. You can get a refurbished "full" laptop for not much more than the price of memory and a SSD (per your question).

Netbooks (my wife has one) were a good idea when they came out, but in practice, they came up short. Many can only use 2GB of memory and the odd screen resolutions make them almost unusable. They are okay for basic browsing tasks, email, etc, but not much else. They are small and portable, both in the plus category, but not much else.

Take the money for the memory/SSD you mentioned and put it toward a new system. For example, see this new system for very little:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834321082

Or a refurb unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319448

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
Well thank you guys, I pick the ram and it's going to me now. This netbook is for older people, so for first start and learn something it will be good I think. In future this netbook going to trash and will be replaced something with i3, better gpu, ram and etc. Maybe you can also recommend light software for xp? Thanks.

Oooookay.

Adding one more piece of information: A major reason hardware get obsolete is due to the Internet, specifically the ever more complexity of Web pages. One cannot keep going saying, oh I am just going to browse, nothing heavy. Those modern darned Web pages require lots of stuff in the background for you to view them. Somebody looking for a "lightweight" Web browser did a test, and modern browsers want, BAM, 1G of ram for your first tab, opening more tabs, more ram. I came to the conclusion that, a true lightweight browser, we are talking about a text-only browser. Nobody getting on the Internet today would be happy looking at text only.

Old folks are even worse than children. At the first sign that things look too hard, they give up. Give them a slow machine does not promote learning, it only seems to help your wallet.