How To Improve Wifi Speed For Gaming?

TechNerd23

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Hello I play a lot of competitive shooter video games however my experiences are hindered by poor ping and extremely slow download speeds in my room, my wifi has faster download speeds and better ping in other areas of the house. I have researched getting a wifi extender but have heard that it can increase wifi latency. Any tips on any gadgets I could get or anything I can do to fix my ping and download speed problems without increasing gaming latency?

Solution
Yes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1JJ0X2/

This item I got has really helped me. You can plug an ethernet into it too. Follow the instructions. You'll plug it into a wall outlet, plug an ethernet from your modem into it. Then put the other device into another plug, one closer to your computer, and test the speeds to see if it's a good outlet for it. If not, try other outlets. If it's close enough, you can use an ethernet instead of the wifi. Personally, I don't have a problem with this item. This has improved my latency while also extending my 5GHz 802.11ac band. I the full speed of the modem (up to 120mbps) from anywhere in the house now. Of course, this is just my experience. You may have a different experience with this...

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Yes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1JJ0X2/

This item I got has really helped me. You can plug an ethernet into it too. Follow the instructions. You'll plug it into a wall outlet, plug an ethernet from your modem into it. Then put the other device into another plug, one closer to your computer, and test the speeds to see if it's a good outlet for it. If not, try other outlets. If it's close enough, you can use an ethernet instead of the wifi. Personally, I don't have a problem with this item. This has improved my latency while also extending my 5GHz 802.11ac band. I the full speed of the modem (up to 120mbps) from anywhere in the house now. Of course, this is just my experience. You may have a different experience with this product but for me, it's great.

edit: this also clones your current wifi set up so you can use the same wifi name and password so you don't have two wifis in the house. it's optional, but i like to use it because my phone will reconnect to whichever. some devices, like my printer, don't like to have to devices of the same name. what i did to fix that was with this TP-LINK AC1750 is i disabled the 2.4ghz band with tp-link's pc software on their website and kept the 5ghz band. that way my printer only connects to the original modem's 2.4ghz wifi.
if you aren't satisfied, you can return it.

Solution