how to increase gpu fan speed?

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I need better cooling on my gtx, for the time being, there are no coolers for me to buy where i live so i have to rely on my stock cooler. So my question is, is it possible to increase the fan speed on my vga cooler using a program or something?

(my friend said that his 6800gt had a manual fan control on the card itself, but on mine i dont have that manual control, is it possible to change the fan speed from software?)

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
It is a program Riva Tuner you will find it at GURU3D.com
i think by default the speed of the fan is set to max

i just downloaded rivatuner, do u have any idea on how to use it? its a little confusing! thanks

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
It is a program Riva Tuner you will find it at GURU3D.com
i think by default the speed of the fan is set to max

i just downloaded rivatuner, do u have any idea on how to use it? its a little confusing! thanks

nevermind i found out how, all my fans are at max, guess you were right!
but do u know what the power user tab does??

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
First you install the program,after you enter the program(the orange icon) you will see a little lower from the middle in the right an icon [customize] click on it an wil open another bar with icons,click on the first one[system settings] you will find here the fan settings, but the settings are at the max by default.
I think the best solution is to order a new fan for GPU or another fan to put under the GPU(mine has one under the GPU Titan 80mm,little modified,i gain BTW 6-8C lower depending on the apllication)
I have 43 idle and 73-76 hard application
Or check if your fan is set well on the video card.

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
From power user you can eneable/disable/install/uninstall/update etc settings from the program if you not know what the settings are is better to let them default..just use the part you need from the program Temps Resolution Fans Overclok(test every time after overclock)

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
So, your video card isn't loud enough? (on my system, it's the only thing you hear other than the DVD Burner)

I'd recomend replacing the cooler if you're worried about cooling, or perhaps try droping the voltage, if you're not trying to OC.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
So, your video card isn't loud enough? (on my system, it's the only thing you hear other than the DVD Burner)

I'd recomend replacing the cooler if you're worried about cooling, or perhaps try droping the voltage, if you're not trying to OC.

dropping the voltage will cool the card?
I never said the card wasnt loud, but for me, its cooling first, and then sound.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
ok im going to buy a cooler soon, i think ill go for the arctic silencer 5 (rev.3) . Do you guys think that would be the best choice, or is for example, the accelero x1 any better? thanks

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001

I never said the card wasnt loud, but for me, its cooling first, and then sound.yes, droping the voltage of the GPU will cool the card, but it could cause stability problems.

What is it running at?

what temps are you getting cause all nvidia cards post hot temps like 60 and above - normal, my oversize copper zalman cooler on my old 6600 used to hit 60's under load and on stock cooling upto high 80s

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006

I never said the card wasnt loud, but for me, its cooling first, and then sound.yes, droping the voltage of the GPU will cool the card, but it could cause stability problems.

What is it running at?

i have it at default speeds of 490/1300

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
what temps are you getting cause all nvidia cards post hot temps like 60 and above - normal, my oversize copper zalman cooler on my old 6600 used to hit 60's under load and on stock cooling upto high 80s

My stock in the winter is around 57, in summer 64.
My load in winter is around 76, some games go up to 84. But what scared me is that it once went all the way up to 92!! Running at an average load temp at 88 degrees celcius is not acceptable for me! I can barely touch the card indicating dangerous temperatures have been reached and in coolbits the bar begins to turn red! This is an expensive card plus i only bought this pc a couple of months ago; i cant afford to just damage parts of my system!

you said yours was in the high 80's too before buying the zalman? Thats a 30 degree decrease in load temperatures, impressive!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
mo26 said:
yes, droping the voltage of the GPU will cool the card, but it could cause stability problems.

What is it running at?

i have it at default speeds of 490/1300My bad, I ment temp wise, what is is running at?

Mine's idling at 42 at the moment, but it's brand new in a fairly cool room.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Bront said:
yes, droping the voltage of the GPU will cool the card, but it could cause stability problems.

What is it running at?

i have it at default speeds of 490/1300My bad, I ment temp wise, what is is running at?

Mine's idling at 42 at the moment, but it's brand new in a fairly cool room.

wow thats pretty cool, even for a 7800gt! i posted my temps on the message just above yours.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The best thing to do is ever not OC it (Mine's not OCed yet), perhaps increase airflow around it in the case, or replace the heat sink (A Silencer or Zahlman would work well.

My stock in the winter is around 57, in summer 64.
My load in winter is around 76, some games go up to 84. But what scared me is that it once went all the way up to 92!! Running at an average load temp at 88 degrees celcius is not acceptable for me! I can barely touch the card indicating dangerous temperatures have been reached and in coolbits the bar begins to turn red! This is an expensive card plus i only bought this pc a couple of months ago; i cant afford to just damage parts of my system!

you said yours was in the high 80's too before buying the zalman? Thats a 30 degree decrease in load temperatures, impressive!

it seems the video cards read temps off by about 10-20*c but on the other hand my old 6600GT kept on reseting at 92* so ill agree with you there - look for a zalman VF7700 - one of the best quietest coolers around.

mo26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
it seems the video cards read temps off by about 10-20*c but on the other hand my old 6600GT kept on reseting at 92* so ill agree with you there - look for a zalman VF7700 - one of the best quietest coolers around.[/quote]

dont you means zalman VF700-cu ?