How to increase Mh/s on a GPU ?

SM1L3R

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
Hello!
Recently i started mining bitcoin and noticed that the mining program says that my r9 290 Vapor-x by sapphire is mining at the speed of 28 mega hashes per second (28 Mh/s) , when i went to calculate the profitability of this mining at www.cryptocompare.com the site said im losing money , so i went to investigate what GPU mines faster and stumbled upon waaaay cheaper and worse GPUs that are doing up to 1Gh/s and i was very surprised so i would like to know am i doing anything wrong ? If i am i would like to know some tips and tricks from you guys.Furthermore , my GPU is at 75 degrees when mining , is that bad , can it die ?

Thanks a lot !

Solution
Ethereum is the crypto-currency de jour and the cause of the recent spike in GPU prices (the whole supply and demand thing).

Bitcoin mining on non-dedicated hardware (ASIC) is just not being done these days.

USAFRet

Titan

Mining bitcoin using GPU's has not been a thing for quite a while.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
It depends on the coin you mine, some mine at different speeds.
For example: Ethereum mines in the Mh/s and Decred mines in the Gh/s.

Mining is hard on the graphics card so expect higher then normal temps, 75c seems fine but you may want to manually increase the fan speeds.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished

Yes, like his single, or even dual graphics card setup, is going to have an effect on that, unlike all the massive mining warehouses or multiple 6-8 card setups people run in their homes.

I say go for it, why not try it? Nicehash is simple and easy to use.