How to increase performance on a Intel Core i5 4590

Icey_K

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Hello, I have been having issues with gaming with my Intel Core i5 4590. Ever since I got a new case, I have noticed lots of stutter in game play when there are explosions or any type of physics-related game play. Also, I noticed low scores in the physics section of FireStrike benchmarking and Sky Diver. So I obviously knew my CPU hasn't been performing as good as it has been throughout the past years. I was wondering if anyone could help me improve the performance of my CPU for gaming. Also, my computer has had overheating issues in the past just to let you guys know if that could be an issue and maybe if I need to get a new CPU. Maybe the GPU could be a problem but I'm not sure. I'm just really confused on why I'm lagging all of a sudden and how I can fix this because my game play is not smooth and I'm not enjoying my gaming experience.
PC Specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5 4590
MOBO- MSI H81M-E34
RAM - Crucial Ballistic Sport 8 GB (4x2)
HDD - WD Blue 1 TB
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+
CASE - (Old) Enermax OSTROG (New) Corsair SPEC-02
PSU - EVGA 500W 500B

Solution
I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, however thought I'd offer my insight to the original question of how to increase performance to an i5 4590. The 4590 has a base clock of 3.3 GHz and a turbo boost of 3.7 GHz. The catch being the more cores it boosts, the lower the max frequency. (3.7 GHz on up to 2 cores, 3.6 GHz on 3 and 3.5 GHz on all 4).
The way around this in to go into BIOS and disable turbo boost and increase the base clock settings from 3.3 GHz to 3.7 GHz and increase max wattage from 84w to around 100w. This way all 4 cores will clock up to 3.7 GHz when under load, and they will still drop back when at idle....depending on performance settings used in control panel.

Update. To change base clock speed, the "CPU clock...

Icey_K

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

I set the Physx processor to the GTX 960 manually and it actually helped out the performance but for some reason there are still stutters when I turn really fast or there are explosions. Also, would putting the Physx processor to my GTX 960 strain my GPU more than putting it to my CPU manually or auto detect?

Icey_K

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

I am currently having a bit of stutters in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege and Payday 2. I tested out Overwatch and CSGO and both of the games ran fine. And sadly I do not have a old Nvidia card laying around for dedicated Physx.

Neither R6 Siege nor Payday 2 are Physx-accelerated games, so a dedicated card isn't going to help even if you did have one. There must be an advanced graphical setting somewhere which is causing the stutter. Unfortunately, I don't own either game, so you may have to experiment with the settings to find out which it is.

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, however thought I'd offer my insight to the original question of how to increase performance to an i5 4590. The 4590 has a base clock of 3.3 GHz and a turbo boost of 3.7 GHz. The catch being the more cores it boosts, the lower the max frequency. (3.7 GHz on up to 2 cores, 3.6 GHz on 3 and 3.5 GHz on all 4).
The way around this in to go into BIOS and disable turbo boost and increase the base clock settings from 3.3 GHz to 3.7 GHz and increase max wattage from 84w to around 100w. This way all 4 cores will clock up to 3.7 GHz when under load, and they will still drop back when at idle....depending on performance settings used in control panel.

Update. To change base clock speed, the "CPU clock ratio" needs to be changed from 33 to 37

Solution

TRENDING THREADS