How to instal Windows again after hard drive wipe

Nov 12, 2018
My computer is messed up so I was thinking of doing a full hard drive reset using DBAN. If i fully wipe my hardrive, can I stil install my previous Windows version again for free and if so how? I heard that Windows was activated on the motherboard. Thank you for any help

Colif

Win 11 Master
DBAN might be excessive, a Clean install as suggested below includes wiping drive anyway.

Go to settings/update & security/activation

If next to activation it says Windows is activated with a digital license then your licence is currently linked to your motherboard.

Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. then your licence is linked to a Email address you either use to login or gave to Microsoft when you upgraded from previous version of Windows.

Both of these are fine for a fresh install, you just may need to use the email address/password to create user if the current licence is linked to an Microsoft Account.
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished