How to install 2nd dvd drive

bringtherain

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
So im trying to install a read/write dvd drive. I already have a regular one that only reads. Currently my HDD is on SATA, DVD is on IDE, and the new one is on SATA. I plugged it in but nothing shows up. Is there something I'm suppose to do that I;m not doing?

bringtherain

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

It does show up in bios as IDE CHANNEL 4 as a Master even though my maxtor drive is also Master in CHANNEL 3 on SATA

4745454b

Titan
SATA only supports one drive per channel, so don't worry about master/slave settings. I was going to ask if you remembered to plug in the power cable, but if the bios saw it you did. All I can suggest is a different cable and/or SATA channel. Perhaps your trying to use RAID ones or ???

bringtherain

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

yup everythings plugged in. Drive opens and closes but it isn't showing up in My Computer.

bringtherain

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Im running XP 32bit. There are only 2 SATA ports on my board. I've had this issue before when trying to add a different DVD drive that was IDE. I ended up giving up. (that was an older board) I have a new board now that only has 2 SATA ports. Should i switch my HDD and DVD drive around?

EDIT: Bizzaro thingo happening.

I see a drive (E:) (thought it was my virtual drive). I put in my verbatim dvd for burning to see if it works and the drive changed from DVD-RAM to CD DRIVE

bringtherain

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
my new drive im trying to install is SATA. The one i already have installed is IDE. I was suggesting switching the ports for the new LG drive and my HDD. Also when i try to access the drive with a CD in it says E:\ is not accessible, incorrect function. When theres no disc it says "insert disc"

bringtherain

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

hmm just tried a regular game dvd rom and it works. Haven't tried burning with the verbatim as I dont wanna risk using up a DL disc.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Your installed DVD drive is a reader the one you want to install is a DVD writer/reader that won't gets recognize.

Try unplugging the DVD IDE drive. See if Windows XP detects it. I guess your using the XP without the service packs.

One thing don't use a DL disc if your DVD writer don't support it.