Question How to install 2x8 + 2x16 GB ram kits?

Aug 28, 2021
I found a post on Reddit where someone replied that if you have two different capacities (in this case 2x8GB + 2x16GB), you should put them as 8 and 16 in channel A and 8 and 16 in channel B to get the max out of the dual channel.
In my case it's 2 kits of Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz CL16, just 2x8 and 2x16.

According to the guy on Reddit, it means I put the sticks as 8-8-16-16 (if it's a standard 4 ram slots motherboard)

Does that make sense? Is it true? And then it means I have actually 24GB in dual channel? makes no sense to me

Link to the post from Reddit: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bkcg6n/can_i_combine_2x8_gb_and_2x16_gb_ram_for_48_gb/

Ralston18

Titan
Make, model, and Rev for Motherboard?

The guiding document is the motherboard's User Guide/Manual that lists supported RAM modules and supported RAM configurations.

In many cases the motherboard's documentation will refer you to the manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information.

Read carefully and pay attention to all notes and caveats. Details matter.

I’m fairly sure it should be either 8-16-8-16 or 16-8-16-8.

You do realise that mixing exact same model kits is not guaranteed to work. What you are going is even more likely to have issues. Only RAM from a single matched kit is guaranteed to work together without issues.