How to install an ssd without uninstalling HDD

andP

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Hello i want to install SSD KINGSTON SV300S37A but i dont want to uninstall my old hdd. i I want to clone it but i want to keep some files on HDD Is that possible? iI also want to select while installing a program on which drive to be installed. Also do i need a program to install my ssd or kingston offers a software that i can do it from bios?

Hey there, andP!

Before tampering with the storage configuration in your system, make sure you backup all the data somewhere off-site (to an external, cloud storage, etc.).
You can clone your current HDD using a cloning software. You shouldn't face any issues keeping your old files on the HDD, however, it's highly recommended to reformat the drive after you have successfully cloned the OS. The old OS installation will still be on the HDD and you won't be able to use the programs/games from the previous install anyhow, so re-formatting once you have copied your data somewhere safe should affect you. When the reformatting is completed and your HDD is set as a secondary drive in your system, you can simply copy back all the data you need from the backup/cloud storage device.
Here are a couple of useful articles you can refer to for help:
1/ Windows Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - In case you re-consider and decide to do a clean install, make sure you unplug the HDD from the system while installing Windows onto the SSD
2/ How to migrate to an SSD without reinstalling Windows
3/ How to change the default download/install path in Windows

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

andP

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

yes but how can i use my old hdd? i mean can i install any new programs there? Or do i need to remove it completely from my case?

It really depends on how you have decided to move your OS, @andP. If it's the cloning process, you should keep the HDD intact until the procedure has been completed. Afterwards, check if your SSD will boot successfully while having the HDD unplugged from the motherboard.
If it is successful, make sure you edit your BIOS settings and put the SSD into first-boot priority (instead of the HDD) and also set the SATA mode for the solid-state drive to AHCI.
You can easily use the HDD as well after that, it's just that you need to backup the data from it beforehand to keep your peace of mind about the integrity of your files. Turning your SSD into the primary/booting storage will require you to delete and erase all the programs and the OS installation from the old hard drive. You can execute the formatting procedure through Disk Management. Afterwards, you will have a completely blank secondary HDD which you can use however you like. You can transfer back all your essential files from the backup and install new programs and software on it. Just make sure you check the third tutorial about changing the default install path to the HDD, instead of filling your SSD with random data.

Check the tutorials I shared with you and see if there's anything unclear about the whole procedure.

SuperSoph_WD

andP

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

I have no idea on bios do you have any tutorials on how to set to first priority?

Yes, of course, @andP!
You can easily do this from the settings in the BIOS interface. I'd recommend you a couple of step-by-step instructions that should help you with this. Even though, the Windows Install & Optmization guide is pretty detailed and there are all sorts of general guidelines there on how to proceed with this.
Good luck! :)
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

Solution