How to install BIOS on a Dell PowerEdge sc1425 server?

bleddyuffles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
--Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section--

I got a Dell PowerEdge sc1425 second hand, and I want to use it to replace my Server which I run in the attic of my house ( my current server is just a normal desktop, not an actual rackmounted server ). But Im having trouble setting it up. When I try to boot from the disk drive to install a new OS, it doesnt seem to detect it. Then I noticed that on boot, it says that the BIOS isnt installed, and I figured maybe if I get that working I can get an OS installed later. So my question is, how do I go about installing the BIOS on a Dell PowerEdge sc1425?

Solution
bleddyuffles,

I think the error is referring to the separate BIOS for the RAID controller. That's necessary for the controller to boot the system. You install these from files that relate to the type of controller. These can be found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/poweredge-1425sc/drivers

Any that are marked "Pre-OS' will be the ones, but yit's a good idea to download and upgrade the latest system BIOS as well. Copy the applicable drivers to a USB drive and during the OS installation, when it asks for drivers, navigate and select them from the flash drive.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

bleddyuffles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Im not running it in Raid, I changed it to "ATA" ( I believe? ). and also I cant get to OS installation, it doesnt detect any disk drive for installation. Or rather, it detects them, it just wont boot from them even if it's set as my boot device?

bleddyuffles,

The question is whether the drives are connected to a RAID controller or directly to an SATA port. If they are plugged into a PCIe controller, you have to install the BIOS for the controller first so it can be the boot device. Then the drives will be visible to the OS install.

Also, check the manual for the mode / format setting for the drives- should it be AHCI or RAID /AHCI Autodetect? If you install to the wrong setting, it can't be changed, a takes a reinstallation.

I really recommend downloading the manual from dell.com

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Solution

TRENDING THREADS