[SOLVED] How to install/configure a Ubiquiti ER-x Router onto a Motorola MB7621 modem.

Aug 23, 2019
Current state: cut the cord and all old equipment is gone. ISP service is active and works internet fine with modem direct connected to a PC. As soon as I connect the router between the modem and PC I lose the internet connection.

All help and videos I can find instruct to connect the the ER-x configuration wizards or screens via browser which I can't do because I lose the internet. The PC's(I have 2) only have a single ethernet port on them. Any ideas how to move forward?

Solution
This router is not really designed for a simple home user. It really is for a more advanced customer and does not just work out of the box. You must follow there configuration guide.

You do not even want to think to plug it into your modem until you have run though the basic configuration procedure. You do not need any form of internet to configure the box. All you need is a cable connected to eth0 from your pc.

They have a pretty good step by step instructions with pictures
This router is not really designed for a simple home user. It really is for a more advanced customer and does not just work out of the box. You must follow there configuration guide.

You do not even want to think to plug it into your modem until you have run though the basic configuration procedure. You do not need any form of internet to configure the box. All you need is a cable connected to eth0 from your pc.

Reactions: bobt1
Solution
Aug 23, 2019

My thanks to Bill001G, you are certainly right that it does not work out of the box and requires more advanced skills than I have. I saw all the good reviews on the product and saw the size of it and assumed 'How hard can it be?" after over 5 hours of my frustration trying, I just wish the complexity had been a bit more clear. While I will still give a very positive review on the device, I will point out it's complexity.

Luckily I have a very capable son who came to my rescue the next morning and got the unit installed and fully functional. He did comment he was impressed with the device from researching on the net and playing with it.
So all is resolved and all it took was a capable person to set it up.