How to install drivers on a freshly built pc with no optical drive?

TopHat3

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Hey everyone,

So I have decided to go with windows 10 for my very first build and I'm fairly sure I know how to go about installing windows without an optical drive using a bootable USB drive. However, I have never installed drivers before and having no optical drive means I can't just pop the disks in and install them that way. How do I go about this process? Do I need to do something with the bootable drive? Which drivers do I even need to install? I am completely lost. All I know is that I need to install graphics drivers and drivers for my motherboard? But that's it, I don't know if I need to install anything else and even how to do it. I'll link my build below so if there is anything else I need to install for any of the other components please let me know!

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/22JQrH

Thank you!

Solution

This is exactly what you must do, use another computer or a friends to download the LAN driver and copy it to your computer then run it, after this go to the manufacture website for your mobo and graphics card and any other pci cards like a wifi adapter (put this ones driver on the stick if you do not have acess to a LAN cable.) and go to the drivers section and download the correct ones for your model and install and you should be good. in the future just get an optical drive as the are only about 30 bucks

pedrochin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
You can get all your needed drivers online...so the one driver that you'll have to manually install first is the LAN/ethernet driver. Locate, download and save it on a separate USB drive.

Jack Warden

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

This is exactly what you must do, use another computer or a friends to download the LAN driver and copy it to your computer then run it, after this go to the manufacture website for your mobo and graphics card and any other pci cards like a wifi adapter (put this ones driver on the stick if you do not have acess to a LAN cable.) and go to the drivers section and download the correct ones for your model and install and you should be good. in the future just get an optical drive as the are only about 30 bucks

Solution