how to install linux ubuntu in a hp stream 11(netbook , chromebook like pc)?

alkimia

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Hi everyone,

So I bought a hp stream 11 a 8 months ago and it came with windows 8.1 which I hated so I was able to do an upgrade for windows 10 ,the computer was working fine but after installing all the software I need it : office,antivirus and few other applications, the computer became slow and every time I have multiple tabs on chrome or firefox it becomes slower due to its low memory.so i really just wanted this netbook for low level office and internet (movies , facebook , basic stuff) and now because of what I just said doesn't even work for that smoothly.

so I was checking out ubuntu as a possible alternative, dont know if its going to make it faster , ( at least no viruses ) I'm not an expert on linux so I have a few questions:

1.is it possible to install linux in this kind of netbook?
2.how do I get the drivers for this pc for ubuntu ?
3.how do I go about re-formating and clean installing Linux,if someone could give me a breakdown of the steps would be nice but pointing me to the right direction will do.

CPU 2.85-GHz Intel Celeron N2840
Thank you very much in advance,

SPECS:

Operating System Windows 10
RAM 2GB RAM
Hard Drive Size 32GB
MEMORY CARD SLOT/USB
NO DVD-ROM

Solution
1. Yes.
2. Ubuntu should have all necessary drivers already installed.
3. There is a guide up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbglTmowRK4

Caveat: Ubuntu often has difficulty with hardware, and most especially on laptops, netbooks, etc, due to the complicated hardware detection routines it uses during installation. The version of Ubuntu identified in the video should install fine on your netbook, but if you wish to upgrade later on to a newer version of Ubuntu, you will need to find out if anyone has had success with this. Ubuntu can regress a lot in hardware compatibility with newer versions. If you wanted to try an install with the latest Ubuntu you could then file a bug report with Ubuntu for anything that didn't work...

JMW22

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
1. Yes.
2. Ubuntu should have all necessary drivers already installed.
3. There is a guide up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbglTmowRK4

Caveat: Ubuntu often has difficulty with hardware, and most especially on laptops, netbooks, etc, due to the complicated hardware detection routines it uses during installation. The version of Ubuntu identified in the video should install fine on your netbook, but if you wish to upgrade later on to a newer version of Ubuntu, you will need to find out if anyone has had success with this. Ubuntu can regress a lot in hardware compatibility with newer versions. If you wanted to try an install with the latest Ubuntu you could then file a bug report with Ubuntu for anything that didn't work. If this is your first time installing Linux I wouldn't really recommend that, but just follow the directions in the video.

More details about the hardware issues on your netbook: http://www.amazon.com/review/R28HR668I6LU8Y

Solution