[SOLVED] how to install Linux

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi I wanted to set up a computer with Linux. Years ago I tried this but fell at the first hurdle. Software needs to go onto internet to get updated drivers. Problem is one of them is my router. As it dosn't have linux drivers I can't connect. Would love to have another go at this.

Solution
You don't need to install drivers in Linux, they're already built into the Linux kernel. As for your connection problems: You have to set up your router first, using wired or wireless connection. As said above, you connect to the router' web page, and configure it from there.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I have an asus M5A78L-M-USB3 and I have downloaded drivers for it. Are you saying that my fiber optic talk talk router is a dumb router and their is no software / firmware installed in it. I was under the impression that I had to update the router software with linux software. Without access to the internet I can not get suitable drivers. I have an NVIDA graphics card and a soundblaster sound card. hard disk and dvd drives should be okay.

You don't need to install drivers in Linux, they're already built into the Linux kernel. As for your connection problems: You have to set up your router first, using wired or wireless connection. As said above, you connect to the router' web page, and configure it from there.

Solution