How to install my PSU

rockakak

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
with the fan facing the ground or facing the GPUs and why?

My PSU is EVGA 1000w 80+ Platinum

My Case is Thermaltake Core V71 and I use only air cooling (2 top fans x 200mm, 2 front x 200, 2 bottom, next to the PSU x 120, 1 rare x 140, and the cpu cooler is noctua nh-d15)

Solution
Fan-down for three reasons:
1- your case has a dedicated bottom intake filter for the PSU
2- natural convection helps the fan move heat out of the PSU
3- facing down protects the PSU from anything that might fall into it

SHADE117

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
I mount my PSUs with the fan pointed up (at the GPU), because if the PSU ever fails maybe a fire starts the metal case of the PSU will stop any silicone e.g. from leaking out and starting a fire on my carpet under my case and I have a chance of spotting it before its too late if I look through my side window.
I´m sure there is a good reason why cases have a PSU intake but I personaly don´t like it

rockakak

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

so if it face my GPUs it will take their cold air xD

I guess facing the ground then

There is no WRONG way to mount a PSU. Most people suggest that you mount it with the fan facing the bottom (or top depending on the case -- Silverstone TJ08-E) so that the PSU has its own dedicated air supply from the outside. Because the inside of the case is usually hotter so re-using air that your other components can put to better use is not optimal.

But you can mount it with the fan facing up. It's no big deal.

InvalidError

Titan

I do not like bottom PSU intakes either - one more often poorly accessible filter to clean and a potential fire hazard if there is a catastrophic PSU failure as you said. With a PSU drawing air from inside the case (but still facing down) and a case fan setup arranged for positive pressure, you also get the benefit of guaranteed airflow through the PSU (natural convection + pressure differential) even if the PSU fan fails. With a bottom intake, you only get natural convection assuming the filter is not clogged.

@InvalidError: some very good quality PSU do not turn on the fan when their load is low. So most of the time, it won't be pulling air and cluttering the filter at all.

P.S.: I unselected @SHADE117 marking of picking my post as the solution. I'll leave that decision to the OP (original poster).

InvalidError

Titan

Even if the fan is not running, the PSU still generates some waste heat and that waste heat still generates some natural convection that will pull some dust in. It may take a few weeks longer depending on how dusty the room is but that filter will still eventually clog up. At that point, the fan will kick in to suck air through the dusty filter.

rockakak

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

the filter is very easy to remove, its like just pulling it out + I am cleaning my PC every week when I clean my apartment :)

InvalidError

Titan

Good for you if all of your case's filters are conveniently accessible.

On some cases though, the bottom filter is accessed through the rear, from inside, unclipped from the bottom, slid out from the non-exposed side of the case (depending on people's desk setups), etc. With only front-accessible front filters, you pop the front filter cover off, remove the filters, clean, pop them back in, done. I wish all mid-range and better cases were setup this way.