[SOLVED] How to install nvidia 1650 super with AMD Ryzen 5 2400g?

Oct 30, 2020
Hi,
I have been using an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with comes with a Vega 11 GPU and so far been doing some low res gaming. I recently bought an nvidia GTX 1650 Super, but I am not able to use the new GPU.
I installed the nvidia card and when I turn on my PC the monitor shows "No signal detected". I am using an HDMI to VGA connector as my monitor does not have an HDMI port.
Do i need to uninstall the vega 11 driver first and then install the nvidia card or can this be achieved with some BIOS setting. Please guide me.
My motherboard - gigabyte
GA-A320M-S2H

Solution
under the BIOS tab in your bios, it has a line for "CSM support" this should be enabled. this is the default but it may have gotten turned off.

this allows legacy support. if it is already turned on, try turning it off and see if that helps.

if it helps i have a 1650 super and a GB b450 board with a 3700x myself. i checked my settings and i have CSM enabled and never had an issue with the card not working.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
where is the cable plugged into? it should be on the gpu and not on the motherboard anymore once it is installed.

what motherboard are we talking about here? it may need to be manually changed to pcie from onboard.

did you plug the power connection into the gpu? it won't work without it plugged in.

couple quick checks off the top of my head. most likely one of these is the issue.

Check page 29 of your motherboard manual.

Initial Display Output
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard graphics.
- IGD Video - Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
- PCIe 1 Slot - Sets the graphics card on the PCIE X16 slot as the first display. (Default)

Oct 30, 2020
where is the cable plugged into? it should be on the gpu and not on the motherboard anymore once it is installed.

what motherboard are we talking about here? it may need to be manually changed to pcie from onboard.

did you plug the power connection into the gpu? it won't work without it plugged in.

couple quick checks off the top of my head. most likely one of these is the issue.
Appreciate the quick response. BTW I did plug the cable into the GPU and not the motherboard and also properly plugged in the PCIe cable to power the GPU. The installation part is done right. It's just that the monitor is not receiving any signal from the GPU and I also checked with a different HDMI-VGA Connector to make sure the first one was not a faulty one.
I even changed the initial display output to PCI from the default IGD and that did not help and I had to reset BIOS just to use the default settings again.

Oct 30, 2020
can you test the card in another system? everything so far points to the card itself being the problem. it's possible the card itself might be DOA
Sadly, I don't have another system to test it :(. Maybe I have to get it tested with the local computer dealer as I bought the card from amazon.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they'd be able to drop it in a system and see if it works.

saves time if you can verify it does or does not work.

other quick thought is to see if UEFI is on or if it is in legacy BIOS mode. some newer cards won't work with old BIOS and need UEFI.

Oct 30, 2020
they'd be able to drop it in a system and see if it works.

saves time if you can verify it does or does not work.

other quick thought is to see if UEFI is on or if it is in legacy BIOS mode. some newer cards won't work with old BIOS and need UEFI.
I did clear the CMOS but have not tested after that.
A little noob with the UEFI thing. Could you please point to a guide or explain if it's not long enough.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
under the BIOS tab in your bios, it has a line for "CSM support" this should be enabled. this is the default but it may have gotten turned off.

this allows legacy support. if it is already turned on, try turning it off and see if that helps.

if it helps i have a 1650 super and a GB b450 board with a 3700x myself. i checked my settings and i have CSM enabled and never had an issue with the card not working.

Solution
Oct 30, 2020
It's turned on...let me try turning it off and see the result. Also is there anything involved with uninstalling old driver if tge vega11 . As I have not uninstalled any driver yet.

Oct 30, 2020
:D:love:Thanks a lot Math Geek. You just saved me some time and headache. Turning off CMS support worked like a charm. I just have to install the nvidia driver now. One last quick question. Does it matter if I install the nvidia driver and then uninstall the Vega 11 driver after or do the opposite.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
should not make a difference if the amd drivers stay installed. the motherboard starts the gpu so the APU chip should never even get started to be an issue.

glad it worked out. sometimes legacy mode is a life-saver sometimes turning it off is the answer. mine works fine with it enabled, but never know and its quick change to make and test out.

enjoy the new card, i love my 1650 super for my limited gaming i do. 1080p with high settings is no problem but then again i don't play any new AAA games so i all good :)

Reactions: akgaming