How to install older build of windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btr999

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
I just installed a new and clean copy of windows 10 on my ssd. But the program list of the current build is really bothering me. On my older windows hdd, I could roll back to my older build. However I can't do the same on this ssd as it is a completely new windows 10. Is there any way I can get an older build of windows 10, the one that they didn't stick program list on my screen?

Exactly. That's how I set my start menu up to look exactly the way I want it to, WITH OUT that stupid all apps list.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you have an iso of an older version you can easily install it over the one yu have now. but if you don't have the iso already, then you're out of luck. if you hav eit then simply mount the iso (windows 10 does it built in now) and then run the set-up file. it will install the older version over the new one no problem.

issue is, that update will likely put the new version back on anyway unless you have the pro version which would let you turn it off. otherwise you will probably be autoupdated to the newest version anyway.

I just tried this and it downloaded 1607 14985, so I guess that your theory doesn't work for everyone. I belong to the Microsoft beta team and Windows 10 insider group, and asking around all I hear is that there is no way to download 1510 any more.

I do not know where you live, but here in the United States it is almost impossible to find a legitimate link to an old 1510 version of Windows 10.

I have asked several friends that belong to Microsoft's insider group and I found a way to download Windows 10 1510. But I still think that it would be easier for the OP to just set up his start menu the way he wants using the settings that come with Windows 10.

Jun 8, 2019
I just installed a new and clean copy of windows 10 on my ssd. But the program list of the current build is really bothering me. On my older windows hdd, I could roll back to my older build. However I can't do the same on this ssd as it is a completely new windows 10. Is there any way I can get an older build of windows 10, the one that they didn't stick program list on my screen?
i can't see a reason why others can't understand your question. However there is no way of "downgrading" your current version of windows unless you have a backup of your previous windows install. in your case obviously you don't have a backup.
but you can do a 'clean install' of any windows version you want. if you do I highly recommend windows version 1809. 1903 sucks it takes too much RAM (in my 4GB build)
use a update blocker to block the updates because basically windows is full of real shit.
u can also debloat your OS if you are interested.
also check "shutup10" application. good luck

PS. if that 'Programs list' is your only issue you can get rid of that too

USAFRet

Titan
i can't see a reason why others can't understand your question. However there is no way of "downgrading" your current version of windows unless you have a backup of your previous windows install. in your case obviously you don't have a backup.
but you can do a 'clean install' of any windows version you want. if you do I highly recommend windows version 1809. 1903 sucks it takes too much RAM (in my 4GB build)
use a update blocker to block the updates because basically windows is full of real shit.
u can also debloat your OS if you are interested.
also check "shutup10" application. good luck

PS. if that 'Programs list' is your only issue you can get rid of that too
2 1/2 years later, I hope the OP is still not messing with v1607 and earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS