How to install older build of windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

btr999

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
I just installed a new and clean copy of windows 10 on my ssd. But the program list of the current build is really bothering me. On my older windows hdd, I could roll back to my older build. However I can't do the same on this ssd as it is a completely new windows 10. Is there any way I can get an older build of windows 10, the one that they didn't stick program list on my screen?

btr999

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

It is just personal preference. Why would I need a list of programs when I can just pin the most frequent use ones as tiles?

I am so sorry but I do not understand this statement. If this is your personal preference then exactly what is the point of this thread?

btr999

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

wow, so you have a problem with people asking a question on how to get their old preference back?

Like I said, I am very sorry that I do not understand your issue. You clearly indicated that you have your computer set up the way that you prefer it yet you are asking how to undo it and go back to a previous version. Maybe you are not being clear or something else is clearly wrong.

btr999

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

Clearly you are the one that not clear about my question. And just so you know, the program list could be set as hidden in previous build and thats what I was asking for. I did not set it this way, microsoft updated the build and choose it for me and there is no option to hide it. Got it? Clearly you are not that familiar with windows 10. Appreciate your input, but I'd rather have someone else who knows windows 10 to help.

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

Currently its not possible to hide the app list.
You can check this thread for more info : http://superuser.com/questions/1111983/disable-all-apps-column-in-windows-10-after-anniversary-update
When they release the update, you will be able to choose.

Meanwhile if you insist on using the old style, you may use Classic Shell(freeware) http://www.classicshell.net/
without loosing all the updates/fixes/functionality that come with the anniversary update.

Currently i don't think its possible to DOWNGRADE your build of windows.
Yet you may be able to find a lower(older) version of windows 10 installation, reinstall and stop the updates.

Probably the most compatible solution for now would be to use classic shell, if the new look irritates you too much.

misteriosly, I agree with everything you say except it is possible to run any version of Windows that you want. For me, I have a library of Windows ISOs. Currently in my collection I have several distinctly different versions of Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. My collection of Windows 10 ISOs currently numbers 14, and they are all very unique and distinctly different. I can actually install any version I want and run as long as I am not connected to the internet while I run it, because if you are connected to the internet then Microsoft will want to update your system.

Even the OP can run a different version of Windows 10 if he really wants to, he just has to determine which version best suits his needs and then he can install that version. The only problem would be virus protection and some programs might not run exactly right, but a couple of tweaks to the registry usually takes care of any software incompatibilities.

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

Currently i don't think its possible to DOWNGRADE your build of windows.
Yet you may be able to find a lower(older) version of windows 10 installation, reinstall and stop the updates.
Guess you skipped those two lines. Else i agree.

And just one more thing. Like I indicated in post number 6 above, having the entire app list open up when you open up your start menu is just one way to use the start menu. I don't use my start menu that way. When I open up my start menu all I see is just a few little boxes of some of the programs that I use regularly. I like my start menu small and simple.

rfrankc

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
Try a Google Search of "MICROSOFT MEDIA CREATION TOOL" ....https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
Select DOWNLOAD TOOL NOW. This will let you start Windows 10 from the beginning and also keep all of your apps and files. If you are not comfortable create a backup before proceeding using MACRIUM REFLECT (Free Edition). Don't forget to create a RESCUE DISK to enable you to restore your current system should you have any issues.

rfrankc

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
It takes it back to the original, before 1607 (anniversary edition). You have to avoid the update to 1607, because it will update to it ASAP, but it can be done.

rfrankc

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
I have two pc's with issues and reinstalled windows 10 twice for each machine during the past week. Each time it installed the original windows and after about anywhere from 8 to 12 hours it updated it with version 1604 (anniversary edition). Would you like to see the restore points after reinstall and the update history?

Uhh, do you mean like this?
7nvBqr4.png

You can edit the start menu in Settings > Personalization > Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS