[SOLVED] How to install RAM

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Hello all,

I am thinking of upgrading my RAM in the near future and have a question regarding it. I know how to physically install the sticks into my motherboard RAM slots, but I'm not sure what to do after that. Do I need to play with any settings in my BIOS? Or should everything be up and running as soon as I slot both sticks into place?

Thanks!

Solution
I was thinking of upgrading my two current Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz 8GB sticks to two Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz 16GB sticks. I don't quite know if this is a particularly wise idea. I bought the Vengeance sticks because they were around £100 cheaper than the Dominator sticks a couple of years ago but now I have a bit more money I was thinking of going for the Dominator sticks. I am also aware of the possible release of DDR5 memory soon. Would I be better off waiting for those to release?

No, no editing, only gaming.

For strictly gaming, this would be a completely pointless 'upgrade' IMO.
Monitor RAM usage in-game. If you're not coming close to maxing out 16GB (I'd be surprised if you're using >10GB), then...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In order to be functional, no. It should just be plug and play. Don't be alarmed if your system reboots a couple of times before posting - it's likely memory training.

If you want to enable XMP/DOCP (to run >2133/2400MHz in the case of DDR4), you'll need to enter the BIOS and enable "XMP" (Intel) or "DOCP" (sometimes A-XMP or just XMP for AMD) to do so.

What are your full system specs? And what memory are you considering upgrading to?

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking of upgrading my two current Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz 8GB sticks to two Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz 16GB sticks. I don't quite know if this is a particularly wise idea. I bought the Vengeance sticks because they were around £100 cheaper than the Dominator sticks a couple of years ago but now I have a bit more money I was thinking of going for the Dominator sticks. I am also aware of the possible release of DDR5 memory soon. Would I be better off waiting for those to release?

My full system specs are:
CPU: i7-9700K.
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73.
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI (WiFi).
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080TI FTW3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 3200 Mhz (2x8GB).
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB SSD and Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD.
PSU: Corsair RM1000i.
Case: NZXT H710i.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

No, no editing, only gaming.

For strictly gaming, this would be a completely pointless 'upgrade' IMO.
Monitor RAM usage in-game. If you're not coming close to maxing out 16GB (I'd be surprised if you're using >10GB), then bumping to 32GB will have absolutely no impact to your gaming performance.... and a noticeable hit to your wallet.

As for DDR5, new RAM standards hit servers long before consumer-level hardware (as in, some months as Server 'exclusive', HEDT after that, then consumer). Likely somewhere in the ballpark of 18 months - 2 years post initial implementation before you see DDR5 on a desktop socket.

As examples:
DDR3, launched in early 2007 and was on a consumer chipset (P35) 2008.

DDR4 as an example, launched in Q2 '14 (server), Haswell-E implemented DDR4 (Sep '14), and Skylake was the first consumer (June-ish '15)

Mid-2020 Epyc releases are still touted to run DDR4, meaning DDR5 is unlikely to be implemented until late 2020, early 2021 at the earliest. Following the DDR4 'roadmap', DDR5 on a consumer level is probably 2022 at the earliest (although this is strictly speculation based on historic trends).

Solution