Question how to install second hdd for storage on p6t deluxe v2

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
HI everyone,

I'm noob and need a bit of guidance.
i havea asus p6t deluxe v2 with a 1tera spinpoint hdd on it since a lot of years using windows.i have no linux atm.
i want to install linux on a second hdd separated physically from windows for dual boot this second hdd is a wd WD5002aaex . linux will be my main os for every day use and i will keep my windows 7 on the spinpoint hdd in case i need it.
i read it was better to have 2 separated hdd for dual boots and since i have a second hdd i dont use i thought of installing it. is a dual boot better on 2 different hdd what are the pros and cons?

I still have all sorts of cable that came with my mother board so that is good.

1 correct me if im wrong but by installing a second hdd like this, it does not require a raid configuration right?
2 there is the slave and master issue that i am not sure how to set. i though the order for booting was set in the bios . what do i do with this master and slave thing ? do i have pins to adjust on the back or the hdd?
3do i leave the spinpoint connected as it is or do i need to reconnect it somewhere else?
4 where do i plug the 500 gig hdd on my mother board?
any other things i sould do in order that everything runs smoothly?
tx

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, individual dries is better than partitions on a single drive.

1. No RAID at all
  2. Master/Slave disappeared long ago
  3. During the Linux install, disconnect the existing drive. Reconnect it after Linux is installed on the other drive.
  4. Your motherboard has multiple SATA ports. One of those for this Linux drive. Power comes off a cable from the PSU.