How to install SSD on PC and then transfer OS over

Natalie_8

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
I recently got an amazing deal on 2 high capacity SSDs. I was able to easily install one of them on my husband's laptop for extra storage, but his already had a smaller SSD for the OS. Now, I'd like to install the otehr SSD in my (older) PC, but I don't think it's as easy as it was in the laptop. I know I have an open slot on the motherboard, but do I need to by my own SATA cable? And most importantly, I'd like to know how to transfer the OS over to the SSD without replacing the other hard drive. Thanks in advance!

Solution
01... is on the right track re his suggestion to consider cloning the contents of your HDD to a SSD, however...

I'm assuming you are working with a desktop PC, so if that is so you do not need to carry out the disk-cloning operation using a USB external device. Rather, you can install the SSD internally in your system via one of the motherboard's vacant SATA data ports (connectors) and carry out the d-c operation in that fashion.

But understand a few things re this disk-cloning operation...

1. The HDD you will be cloning (the "source" disk) must be non-defective and problem-free. It should boot without incident and be functionally fine.

2. The size of the SSD (the "destination" disk) must have disk-space capacity sufficient to...

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
Most of the time you can just use a utility to clone the HDD to SSD. You then need to boot to the SSD without the hard drive plugged in or it will cause problems. Easiest way it to buy a USB to sata kit, like this

So my procedure, with PC booted, plug in SSD with USB, clone HDD to SSD. Shut down, install SSD and remove HDD. Boot to windows with SSD, plug in HDD via USB, and format. Shut down and install HDD, make sure in BIOS the SSD is selected for first boot and you are all set.

01... is on the right track re his suggestion to consider cloning the contents of your HDD to a SSD, however...

I'm assuming you are working with a desktop PC, so if that is so you do not need to carry out the disk-cloning operation using a USB external device. Rather, you can install the SSD internally in your system via one of the motherboard's vacant SATA data ports (connectors) and carry out the d-c operation in that fashion.

But understand a few things re this disk-cloning operation...

1. The HDD you will be cloning (the "source" disk) must be non-defective and problem-free. It should boot without incident and be functionally fine.

2. The size of the SSD (the "destination" disk) must have disk-space capacity sufficient to contain the TOTAL DATA CONTENTS residing on your HDD. So, for example, if your HDD contained 350 GB of data and you purchased a 250 GB SSD that would not "fly". Got that?

There are freely-available d-c programs available on the net. Two of them are quite popular - the Macrium Reflect program and the Easeus Todo Backup program. Also, many SSD manufacturers bundle their products with a disk-cloning ("data migration") program.

You should also do a Google search on "cloning the contents of one disk to another disk". There's some good detailed info on this process.

Oh, and you will need a SATA data cable to connect the SSD in your system. They're quite cheap and readily available.

Solution