How to Install SSD?

SKWorkouts

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hello,

I am a complete noob about what a SSD is :( I might sound total dumb but yet I'd like to learn about it.

I know it works faster than HDD and I know why it does so and how but what I now wanna know is, Do we have to install separate Windows on SSDs too? How does the Installation process work? I'm not talking about fitting it into the MoBo cause I know that. I am talking about the internal matters! Please brief me :)

Solution
What exactly would "internal matters" be?

You don't need a "different" version of Windows. As a matter of fact, you'll find software all over the internet that basically transfers your Windows drive's data onto the SSD. After it's done, you can swap the HDD for the SSD and it'll work.
What's important to a lot of people though is optimization. That is, settings from your old Windows install (that is, from when you had Windows on HDD) will be saved and applied even if you transfer the data to an SSD. That's why most people recommend doing a clean install of Windows, plus a few tweaks here and there to really get as much as they can from their disk.
Whatever your choice of OS might be, you'll need it to have TRIM support. SSDs don't work...

someone755

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
What exactly would "internal matters" be?

You don't need a "different" version of Windows. As a matter of fact, you'll find software all over the internet that basically transfers your Windows drive's data onto the SSD. After it's done, you can swap the HDD for the SSD and it'll work.
What's important to a lot of people though is optimization. That is, settings from your old Windows install (that is, from when you had Windows on HDD) will be saved and applied even if you transfer the data to an SSD. That's why most people recommend doing a clean install of Windows, plus a few tweaks here and there to really get as much as they can from their disk.
Whatever your choice of OS might be, you'll need it to have TRIM support. SSDs don't work like HDDs on the hardware level, so the OS has to have a few tools available to be able to handle SSDs. That said, if you're using Windows 7 of above, you'll be golden.

Solution

someone755

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
For gaming, an SSD doesn't really make much of a difference (except maybe reduced loading times). Anything 120GB or bigger and you'll be set -- Windows and a few programs (or maybe even a game or two) on the SSD, other stuff on the HDD. Or just go berserk and get a huge SSD to completely replace your HDD.
It pretty much depends on your budget, your country, and your preferred way of buying hardware.