[SOLVED] How to install system in "blank" laptop from it's HDD?

G_G

Apr 20, 2020
Hi,
I've got a Sony VGN-FJ3S, I formatted it's HDD using another Laptop and I now found out this Sony Laptop only boots from HDD or LAN (no matter the BIOS boot order).
I've followed this guide instructions for Xubuntu, windows XP and windows 10. Only windows 10 was detected by the Sony laptop but gave an error a few seconds after launched.... (The HDD is divided into 3 partitions, the 3rd was the one used for that guide (And yes I used "list partition" "select partition 3" int the diskpart utility)).

How do I install an OS on this Sony Laptop?

It originally had Windows XP in it, it would be great if I could just install Windows XP on it again..

Last edited:
Solution
Update, case solved.
Just in case someone needs to know how this was solved:
-> This Laptop only boots from HDD and has no system on the HDD.

To solve this you'll need another laptop that can either boot from USB and/or DVD. You basically take the HDD out of the "blank" laptop and place it onto the second laptop.

In this second Laptop, you just have to install the Grub4dos bootloader onto the HDD of the first computer.

You can't install an OS (operative system) using the second computer because, unless it has exactly the same hardware as the first one (e.g. motherboard, GPU, CPU, Wireless board, screen driver, USB Driver, etc), due to the hardware being different the system you install won't work when you try to boot it using the...

G_G

Apr 20, 2020
Update, case solved.
Just in case someone needs to know how this was solved:
-> This Laptop only boots from HDD and has no system on the HDD.

To solve this you'll need another laptop that can either boot from USB and/or DVD. You basically take the HDD out of the "blank" laptop and place it onto the second laptop.

In this second Laptop, you just have to install the Grub4dos bootloader onto the HDD of the first computer.

You can't install an OS (operative system) using the second computer because, unless it has exactly the same hardware as the first one (e.g. motherboard, GPU, CPU, Wireless board, screen driver, USB Driver, etc), due to the hardware being different the system you install won't work when you try to boot it using the first computer.

-Remember Grub4dos is different from Grub2, Grub2 can't boot USB or DVD with bootable Windows system installer(s).

Using Grub4dos go to the option "command line". If you have only the HDD and your USB or DVD connected/inserted use the following commands to boot from it:
Code:
root (hd1,0)

chainloader +1

boot
in the command "root (hd1,0)" the "1" is the drive number and "0" is the partition number.

If your trying to install a recent windows OS into an old laptop have in mind the laptop may not be compatible.

Last edited:
Solution