[SOLVED] How to install Ubuntu to a usb

byron1381

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
I'm wanting to install Ubuntu to a usb as if it is a HDD so i can take it with me and it contains all my files and when i plug it into a pc it will launch ubuntu and will have all of my files in it. I want it to have a password too. I want the usb to act as if it was installed to the computer. Thanks

Solution
I've recently tested installation on USB thumb drive.

The experiences lead to this conclusion
  • Important : The guide never mention this, Any storage device that is not a part of installation (boot media and the storage device you plan to install OS onto) should be disabled from bios menu, so that you don't take the risk of destroying the existing system.
  • If choosing just a regular USB thumb drive (even usb3), you'll ending up with a very slow system.
  • I'd recommend a more light distro. For this purpose, MX Linux works well.
  • There are OS out there that are specific made to be run from a usb thumb drive, such as Nomad BSD. However, from my own experience, there is not that much gain choosing Nomad BSD over a...
I've recently tested installation on USB thumb drive.

The experiences lead to this conclusion
  • Important : The guide never mention this, Any storage device that is not a part of installation (boot media and the storage device you plan to install OS onto) should be disabled from bios menu, so that you don't take the risk of destroying the existing system.
  • If choosing just a regular USB thumb drive (even usb3), you'll ending up with a very slow system.
  • I'd recommend a more light distro. For this purpose, MX Linux works well.
  • There are OS out there that are specific made to be run from a usb thumb drive, such as Nomad BSD. However, from my own experience, there is not that much gain choosing Nomad BSD over a light Linux distro.
  • Some or several distros may not successfully load after installation - in my case I tried to install Fedora 33 and it wasn't able to load (stuck forever until forced power off).
My test was on a Corsair Flash Voyager GT usb 3.0 64GB.

[edit]
Also have to add (after reading itsdigger post below) : The test I mentioned was to do a regular install, i.e. not persistent USB drive.

Last edited:
Solution

itsdigger

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
I'm wanting to install Ubuntu to a usb as if it is a HDD so i can take it with me and it contains all my files and when i plug it into a pc it will launch ubuntu and will have all of my files in it. I want it to have a password too. I want the usb to act as if it was installed to the computer. Thanks
It's called a persistent drive. Here are the instructions > How to Make a Persistent USB Drive on Ubuntu

Reactions: Grobe