[SOLVED] How to install video card on new motherboard+Ryzen 2600? - no integrated

huzaifa_ahmed

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
I managed to connect the motherboard/chassis cables, I got the computer to turn on, however:

I plugged in the VGA cable, I couldnt see anything. I thought i'd done something wrong, then i remembered that the Ryzen 5 2600 has no integrated video.

This is a clean install, new SSD, motherboard, CPU, RAM, with no video card (i have a few in my back pocket so to speak, hopefully my 1080 still works but i have other usable ones too).

However I cant use any of them, presumably, because none of the drivers are installed to this new set. So I cannot setup my computer. Presumably this is something others have done regularly with new builds? I've just never encountered or dealt with this issue. Thanks all.

edit: i should think it was implied that windows isn’t installed

Last edited:
Solution
What I've been trying to do is install the drivers for GTX 1080 onto some intel laptops (one is 32 bit and one 64, both Windows 10), & also desktops (both 64 bit and Windows 10).

& clone the HDD's to the SSD (which is empty) that i've put in my desktop.

You can't move drives from system to system and have it work properly, the hardware changes will cause issues most of the time. Take the system you want to install Windows on, boot it off the Windows setup media. Then install the drivers for the hardware.

The computer should see the display even without Windows on it as long as the system is setup correctly with power and other connections. If you are not getting video out with any of your cards there is an issue with the...

huzaifa_ahmed

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
As TJ said, Windows will either default to the basic Windows Video driver or attempt to download a AMD/Nvidia driver although its usually quite out of date. Either way you should have no issues with just plugging your monitor into the card and getting an image.

It did not seem to do that.

I plugged into the video card (the video card lit up its LED) and i still got no signal on the screen.

If you are planning on using a card like a 1080 in the system you need a higher wattage power supply. The new model CX power supplies are pretty good although still on the lower end of gaming system PSUs.

You only have the single cable from the card to the monitor right? All power cords connected to the video card? Did you have someone look over the setup to make sure it's put together properly?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well first off, that PSU is not sufficient for a GTX 1080. I would think it'd be OK for just powering up and getting a display, but you'd want to replace it if you want to be using that GPU in that system long term.

Are you sure you plugged in all the power connectors to the mobo and graphics card? How many power connectors are on the graphics card?

huzaifa_ahmed

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
Well first off, that PSU is not sufficient for a GTX 1080. I would think it'd be OK for just powering up and getting a display, but you'd want to replace it if you want to be using that GPU in that system long term.

Are you sure you plugged in all the power connectors to the mobo and graphics card? How many power connectors are on the graphics card?
If you are planning on using a card like a 1080 in the system you need a higher wattage power supply. The new model CX power supplies are pretty good although still on the lower end of gaming system PSUs.

You only have the single cable from the card to the monitor right? All power cords connected to the video card? Did you have someone look over the setup to make sure it's put together properly?

I've been using the same power supply with the same GPU's (I also have RX 580 4 and 8GB and RX 560 2GB that I tried to use) and a i5 3470 3.2 Ghz, for the last year.

huzaifa_ahmed

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
What I've been trying to do is install the drivers for GTX 1080 onto some intel laptops (one is 32 bit and one 64, both Windows 10), & also desktops (both 64 bit and Windows 10).

You can't move drives from system to system and have it work properly, the hardware changes will cause issues most of the time. Take the system you want to install Windows on, boot it off the Windows setup media. Then install the drivers for the hardware.

The computer should see the display even without Windows on it as long as the system is setup correctly with power and other connections. If you are not getting video out with any of your cards there is an issue with the system at the core somewhere. Either power is not good enough, or something is not connected properly.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution

huzaifa_ahmed

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013

The computer should see the display even without Windows on it as long as the system is setup correctly with power and other connections. If you are not getting video out with any of your cards there is an issue with the system at the core somewhere. Either power is not good enough, or something is not connected properly.

It does seem to boot up, the lights all turn on (including the LEDs on the GPUs that have them), and the fans blow.

Am wondering what the issue at core might be.