[SOLVED] How to install water cooling on my motherboard

Mateja_4

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
I have MSI A320M PRO-VD PLUS motherboard and i want to insall watercooler Cooler Master ML240L RGB. I have 1 problem i don't have pump/cpu-out header. Where i should plug pump to? I thought, idk if i should, but i want to use adapter sata power to 4pin to connect pump and use cpu-fan header for fans on radiator? Should i do that?

What is the cpu that you want to cool?
I have to think you are wasting some $200 on a cooler that you probably do not need.

There are better ways to but some RGB "bling"

As to your question, psu molex to 3/4 pin fan cables are a reasonable way to go.

Mateja_4

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
What is the cpu that you want to cool?
I have to think you are wasting some $200 on a cooler that you probably do not need.

There are better ways to but some RGB "bling"

As to your question, psu molex to 3/4 pin fan cables are a reasonable way to go.
I'm using Ryzen 5 2600 CPU and i want to use water cooling because when i'm playing anything intensive or do some work that needs some "horse power" my CPU goes over 85C (185F). Now imagine summer when is 35C (95F) and i don't have air conditioning, it's a hell. And it's a 70€ ($75.80) water cooler so isn't that much expansive :)
And about the molex, i'm not big fan of molex that's why i want to use sata power adapters.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
None of the above. The ML240L uses the cpu_fan and a sys_fan header to power the pump/fans. It's not a direct psu connection requiring molex or Sata power.

It can be installed in 2 ways. Recommend by manufacturer is pump-cpu_fan and fans to any system fan header. This has the benefit of providing a low rpm warning and refusal to boot should the pump (has half the expected lifespan of the fans) ever fail. Unless the motherboard bios has the ability to change temp zones from motherboard to cpu, there's going to be slight issues with fan control as the fans are now regulated by motherboard temps.

The other way is to reverse that, put the pump on a system fan header, it's 3pin so will need the bios changed to pwm/locked 100% output to prevent pump slowdowns and maintain a constant 12v. This puts the fans on cpu_fan header which has the benefit of increasing/decreasing fan speeds with cpu temps.

A dedicated cpu pump/aio/cpu-out header is just another system fan header that already takes into consideration a constant 12v need for 3pin pumps.

The RGB is a totally seperate circuit and dealt with accordingly.

What is the make/model of your case, and what is your cooling fan arrangement?

Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
Try taking your case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that fixes your heat issue, look to case cooling solutions.

Mateja_4

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
None of the above. The ML240L uses the cpu_fan and a sys_fan header to power the pump/fans. It's not a direct psu connection requiring molex or Sata power.

It can be installed in 2 ways. Recommend by manufacturer is pump-cpu_fan and fans to any system fan header. This has the benefit of providing a low rpm warning and refusal to boot should the pump (has half the expected lifespan of the fans) ever fail. Unless the motherboard bios has the ability to change temp zones from motherboard to cpu, there's going to be slight issues with fan control as the fans are now regulated by motherboard temps.

The other way is to reverse that, put the pump on a system fan header, it's 3pin so will need the bios changed to pwm/locked 100% output to prevent pump slowdowns and maintain a constant 12v. This puts the fans on cpu_fan header which has the benefit of increasing/decreasing fan speeds with cpu temps.

A dedicated cpu pump/aio/cpu-out header is just another system fan header that already takes into consideration a constant 12v need for 3pin pumps.

Okay, that's good to know, but i want to know if i could use pump with sata power adapter, plug radiators fans on cpu-fan and use that 1 sys-fan header with splitter so i can connect 2 case fans. That's why i want to do it that way and that's why i'm asking if it is safe to use that way :)

Mateja_4

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
What is the make/model of your case, and what is your cooling fan arrangement?

Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
Try taking your case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that fixes your heat issue, look to case cooling solutions.
I have good case, corsair 220t with 3 fans in front and 1 at the back. Problem is amds bad stock cooler.

Mateja_4

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017

Can you tell me the source of this info, because i can't find it :)

TRENDING THREADS