How to install win 7 pro 64 and win xp 32 in RAID1 & as dual boot?

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hi...I have just put a brand new system together with some assistance from a few members in another part of the forum. My previous system was running on win xp pr 32bit and I was running highly intensive graphics programs (3D animation/rendering software - Maya, ZBrush, Realflow, Mudbox, etc...), video rendering programs, and music production software (Cubase SX, Reason, etc...). I was using 2 WD Raptor drives only for my OS and programs with 1 as a backup clone and the other in the system. On my new system I have cleared all data off of my 2 Raptors, set them up as I want in a RAID 1 configuration, and upgraded to windows 7 pro 64bit. Because I still have so many programs that I use on win XP 32bit I wanted to setup a dual boot setup. Because I need as much processing power as I can get I want to set it up as a dual boot and not as virtualization. I'm not exactly sure how to go about setting this up. Can someone help get me started so I understand what I'm doing?

Right now I have placed only 1 partition on my raptor drives and I have configured them for a RAID 1 array. I have installed Win 7 pro 64bit successfully. How do I install win xp pro 32bit in a dual boot setup with this? Do I need to, wipe both drives, create 2 partitions and install win7 pro in one partition and then win xp pro in the other? If so, how do i actually install a dual setup with a RAID 1 array?

I could use just a bit of help here. This is the first time I have built my own system, setting up RAID, and creating a dual boot setup.

Thanks for any input!

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

Thank you! I did some google searches and couldn't find this or any similar pages to this. So thank you! I'll give this a shot.

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I could use some more help please!

I followed the link that was posted (method 2). I got as far as slipstreaming the XP driver in by installing nLite, adding in the XP RAID/SATA driver, and burning a new disc.

I restarted to Win 7, went into disk management and shrank my partition so that there were now 2 partitions. 1 with win 7 and the other for my xp install.

I restarted my computer and booted from my newly burned disc. XP failed to install and said that the driver file was corrupt. I couldn't continue the install from that point so I removed the newly burned coaster and attempted to just restart to my win 7 desktop. Unfortunately after restart I received another error stating that the OS was missing. I tried to do a repair to my win 7 install, but that failed to fix the problem.

I deleted my partition for win 7, reformated it, and tried to reinstall win 7. When it came time to install the driver at first it told me the one on my USB drive was not correct (which I know is crap because I used the same flash drive to install the driver the first time successfully.) I tried using the actual ASUS mobo disc with the drivers on it and it told me the same thing. I double checked my BIOS settings to make sure my RAID config was still intact, and it was. I just tried to reinstall again only this time deleting all partitions so that there was only 1, reformating, and tried to reinstall yet again. Now when I'm asked where I want to install Win 7 (just before the screen where I need to load my driver) I have received an error saying

"Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300001"

How is it that my win xp install screwed up my fully functional win 7 install? It was to install on an entirely different partition. I have to keep both OS on the same RAID setup. Really important.

Help please? Anyone?

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

I agree that it was probably a bad burn when I was trying to install win xp. Why can't I install win 7 again? Nothing seems to work to allow me to do it. I'm using the actual mobo CD with the correct drivers on it. Even the USB flash drive I had with the drivers I copied from the mobo CD will not work and that was the same flash drive with the same driver I used to do my successful previous install.

How can I just get everything to clear out so that I can start over? I've tried deleting the partitions, reformating the drive, but nothing seems to work. It's like it's holding onto the memory of the previous install? Strangest thing to me.

Any ideas?

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

Before I tried your suggestion I turned both SATA drives into NON-RAID disks. Then I created a new RAID 1 volume and went through the installation process you wrote above. It installed the driver, but when I try and hit "next" to continue my Win 7 install I receive the following error

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information."

This confuses me because I can see on the screen that I have created 2 partitions 'Disk 0 Partition 1' and 'Disk 0 Partition 2'. After creating them I formatted them. How is it that I do not have a partition? So confused by this error message.

BTW...how do I locate the "setup log files?"

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

I have full versions of both win 7 pro and xp pro. I picked up a full OEM version of win 7 pro at Micro Center, but I made sure not to get the upgrade version.

I checked my BIOS again and realized that my hard drives were not actually showing up IN the BIOS. So I did some research online and wondered if I needed to change my drives back to being basic instead of dynamic. I found this tool and these instructions and followed them:

tool:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

instructions:
http://mypkb.wordpress.com/2007/03/28/how-to-non-destructively-convert-dynamic-disks-to-basic-disks/

After running this tool using my laptop I was able to get my RAID1/Raptors to show up in BIOS again. (I don't know when they all of a sudden disappeared from my BIOS because when I had first installed Win 7 they were visible in BIOS.) I tried to reinstall after running TestDisk and double checking to make sure my RAID volume was still intact, working, showing up in BIOS, etc... I got to the screen to install my driver/format/partition drive. I first put in my ASUS mobo CD and installed the driver. TestDisk already put a partition on the drives so I formatted them, and then tried to install win 7 again. This time I received the following error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Where/how do I do this? I know how to get to the BIOS, but I can't seem to find anything that asks me to 'enable a disk controller.'

I think that's in reference to the AHCI setting.

If that doesn't work, start from scratch.
-Delete the array
-Unplug one of the drives
-Boot off the disc, and into the command prompt
-Use the format command to format the drive
-Swap the drives, and repeat for the 2nd drive
-Connect both drives, recreate the array, and try to install windows

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

Thanks for the info. I tried adjusting the AHCI setting, but that didn't work. The other method you suggest will require more research on my part in order for me to figure out how to do it. I don't know how to boot into command prompt from the disc and I don't know how to format a drive in DOS. In fact, I am SO terrible at DOS. I can't even switch disks or directories without needing help. Right now all of that is just really overwhelming and extremely frustrating. I just need to walk away from it for a bit and try again at a later date. Until then it's now my new bedside table. Thanks so much for trying to help me.

luiscloss

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hi guys,

I have some comments about this issue. I personally have never loaded W7 and WXP on dual-boot with fake-raid controllers. It is my understanding that this would be something not very easy to finish, and also, you would probably face lots of other problems while configuring it.
There are lots of other considerations:
1) The boot partition of both OSs are a bit different. Most of all, boot partitions of Dynamic Disks are completely different.
2) The fake-RAID would probably let you down sometime, and most of it, you could loose some data.
3) fake-RAID in Windows, will obligate you to have Dynamic Disk, which could also guide you to further problems.

Lets pick the example:
1) you install W7 and WXP on your system. SO, both partition manager would be for BASIC DISCS.
2) once you load W7 and designate it as RAID-1, it will rewrite to primary partition and will "transform" your discs as dynamic disks. Once you try to load the XP, it should be waiting to read BASIC DISCS, but the W7 installer have rewritten to the same discs and now they are dynamic, so PROBLEMS.

As you can probably see, you cant have best of the world on that specific situation as provided by you.

HOWEVER, keep these two steps below in mind:

QUESTIONS:
1) If YES, you could just
2) by wipping out your RAID information on Bios, you would again loose all your data.

SUGGESTIONS:
1) if this is something that you really need to have, I assume you couldnt buy a real RAID controller, and have really different disks?
2) wouldnt it be much more easier to run XP-Mode under Windows 7?

Look, I have been facing such problems for a very very long time, and really don´t see how to resolve your situation. I would rather say that it would make more sence to have just one OS loaded with the fake-RAID and have this W7 running XP-mode instead.
Have a look here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode
It works as a virtual machine inside your W7 environment, and it includes USB support, which is originally not included on Hyper-V Servers.

I have XP mode running on my laptop for testing purposes, and it work just fine. Even being a newcomer here, I have been seeing such things for a long time, so please accept the advise: Avoid problems for yourself - Keep it simple!

If my post help you or anyone else, please dont forget to select best answer. Wish you all the best. Have luck on your choice. Avoid headaches for yourself - keep it simple!

Bye.

Luis
IT Adm

XP mode is certainly an option, if your hardware supports it. It would be a simpler option.

You still shouldn't have any issue setting up a dual boot system, as long as you have the RAID driver loaded. The array will use the RAID controller on the motherboard, just as it would on a RAID card. Once the array is setup, and the driver is loaded, the OS treats it as a single drive. Setting up the dual boot afterward will have no bearing on if it's using an array or not.

It's true that an array can fail, and depending on the type of array being used, data may be lost. Though, the same can be said when using a single or multiple hard drives, not in an array. The key is regularly backing up important data.

luiscloss

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I agree with Aford10 about lat comments.

Anywaym the situation that I´m guiving some more awereness, is that I´m not 100% certain that both OSs on Dual Boot fake RAID 1 will work. Theorethically speaking, it might work, however this is something that I would do only as the last of last resource. Meanwhile, you should take into consideration what will happen everytime you boot it up. It could happen that on every "OS Change" your RAID could go to unreliable mode and start to reconstruct everything once again and again.

I strongly disencourage you by doing this. I have lots of clients and friends that lost some data at a specific point. So far you are only playing around with RAID 1, the problems use to appear less than in other RAID levels. I personlly started to play with one fake RAID controller for a client, and after 30 rebuilds (almost one at week), he decided to give up and buy a real RAID Controller with internal battery.

Any fake RAID, despite of what you have heard, is a waste of time. Unless we are talking about fake Linux RAID, which is preatty good.

Keep in mind the two different answers you already got:
XP mode is certainly an option, if your hardware supports it. It would be a simpler option.

Anything different than that could cause you some future problems. Unless it is stricktly necessary, try not to do it. Keep this forum as a very good awareness, and don´t blame us in case of future problems.

Hope this help you. Take care.

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I had looked into running XP under Win 7 virtualization, but the problem with that is that I won't be able to utilize all of the power of my graphics, RAM, etc... This is important because I need the power as I am running memory intensive 3D apps. I need all the power I can get for rendering.

Based on the comments I think I will just forget setting up a RAID array entirely. I was doing this as a simpler method for me to cloning my main hard disk, but I'll just continue to use Acronis.

If I did this would it then be possible to setup a dual boot that would be pretty stable?

Secondly, would I be able to have USB support for both Win 7 and Win XP systems? This is important for me to have.

Thanks for the info.

My suggest.
(1) use the two HDDs as standalong, not raid1.
(2) Delete any raid setup
(3) Connect one HDD, disconnect the second. When installing select "Custom" and delete ALL parttions found. Repartition drive and setup Partition 100->200 (Didn't catch size so disregaurd if 302 gig or smaller, just use the whole disk). Install windows 7, verify that it installed and is working OK. If you opt to use the smaller partition for operating system + programes, you can leave the remainder of the HDD along and set it up using win 7 Disk manager.

(4) Disconnect win 7 HDD and Connect 2nd HDD, Same same, custom, delete all partitions, repartition and install XP. Verify it is working.

(5) when done, reconnect Win 7 HDD. You should now be able to daul boot by selection the "Boot from by hitting the Fx key (F12 on my MB). Not this does not change boot order, that is if you reboot and win 7 is first then Win 7 will boot unless you use the Fx key. NOTE: which ever drive you boot to will be C-drive.

I have used the above method several times - Current back-up computer has daul boot vista and XP (Both use a pair of HDDs in raid 0 Mode), also had a Pair of raid 0 with Win 7 RC on this computer but removed.
I am in the process of setting up my primary computer with daul boot using this method. One SSD with win7 64 Bit and a seperate SSD with win 7 32 Bit.

Advantage - NO SOFTWARE boot manager can corrupt both drives.

Aford10. You do not have to have the Operating system installed to use the upgrade version- you DO have to OWN a qualifing operating system for THAT computer. Just select "custom" install on the Upgrade DVD - There are a couple of addition steps that you must do to activate it. Have done it many times

luiscloss

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hi Chief,

At least someone else thinks exactly as me. Keep it SIMPLE as I have mentioned.

Remember: its much better to get ride of the fleas than keeping scratching yourself.

Hope we can close this forum.

BYE

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

Sounds like you'd rather "close this forum" more than anything and you're certainly eager to gain some sort of technical point by asking me to "choose your answer". I'll save you the anxiety and tell you flat out that I am not "choosing your answer." Your comments about this really are not helpful and it only tells me that you care more about trying to prove that you know better than anyone else and pushing people to "choose your answer" than you do about really trying to help someone who has come to the forums for assistance. aford10 has been extremely helpful and given me quite a bit of their time. RetiredChief also has made a very good comment which was also helpful and gave me some new insight. Maybe you should have read my initial post before trying to throw out some words of "wisdom," because if you had read it then you would already know that I do not want to use virtualization and why. Doing this kind of setup may be new to me, but I'm not a complete idiot when it comes computers and I do my research before coming to the forums for assistance.

aford10 & RetiredChief, I really appreciate your comments, assistance, and patience. I've tried many suggestions thus far, but I think I might go ahead and try setting up a dual boot without the RAID configuration. I only have 2 raptors and ideally I'd like to keep 1 as an external backup clone created by Acronis. I should be pretty stable installing both OS's on different partitions of the drive, correct? I've read that installing win xp first might be the better way to go and then installing win 7 after that? I will try RetiredChief's method, but I'll install XP first and then try and shrink the drive so I can install win 7 on a new partition. Thanks to the two of you for your continued help and support.

luiscloss

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Well mate, unfortunately besides of anything of what you are trying to say, my suggestion to close this forum was exactly 'cause it was my understanding that your questions were fulfilled. You are also wrong thinking that I´m eager for a "choose best answer". Despite whatever you or anyone could ever think about, this is a public non-profitable forum, and people give out their time to answer to anyone. I do not consider you a idiot as you mentioned, however it was my understanding since the beginning that you might face more problems loading what you intended to load than anything else.

What you are explaining now using an Acronis to have your disk as a spare or backup is entirely different than your first approach of RAID.
As you said: "This is the first time I have built my own system, setting up RAID, and creating a dual boot setup. "
Your last reply to this post is not exactly the best way to get free-of-charge technical support. Everybody here knows that people post problems, otherwise they would just seat in front of a TVSet and waste time.

Wish you the best luck. Time will provide you for free and teach how to treat other people on while asking for free support.
I do not pretend to answer this post anymore, but keep this in mind:
People donate their time reading posts and trying to answer to them. Be sure I did not wasted my time replying to you. If you think so, please accept my appologies.

Chief, Aford10 and other people may try to keep you focused to resolve your issue. My appologies to everybody else on this post.
Hope you get your free-answer.

popflier

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

Sorry for the delay. My browser was hijacked on my laptop and I haven't been able to look at my other computer to try anything just yet. A BIG THANK YOU to you aford10 for writing up that malware removal tutorial post. After 3 days of research I discovered that link in your signature and it apparently has worked. Google is no longer redirecting to other pages so I think everything is okay. So first and foremost I needed to tell you thanks for that. Was a great help!

Back on topic, I realized too that the link you had posted was essentially the same. The first time i went through this I had Win 7 installed and tried to install XP, but everything fell apart and it went downhill afterwards. This time I decided to try and create 2 partitions and install XP first and then Win 7. Everything seemed to install correctly and is working. I've tried restarting back and forth between the two several times and there have been no problems. Initially, I had really wanted to setup a RAID 1 configuration, but after having issues setting it up with a dual boot scenario I just decided to continue the method I have been using on my other computers, which is just using Acronis to clone my drive. Having the dual boot is far more important to me.

So thank you aford and chief. I've been a moderator before and I do understand that you offer your time for free. Sorry the two of you had to see my rant with luis, but I didn't appreciate the attitude he had and more importantly that he didn't take the time to read the previous messages to know that his posts were redundant and unnecessary. I feel like if you are going to offer your help to someone then at least take the time to find out what their issue is and at least act like you care. So again, I'm sorry to the two of you, but I felt like I had to say something.

aford, you have now helped me twice in very big ways so if there's anything i can do for you please let me know. I'm a 3D artist, graphic designer, etc... I'd send you flowers as a thank you if I had your address... :)

nicole