How to install window os in 2 HD on raid 0 without using floppy disk driver

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
How to install window os in 2 HD on raid 0 without using floppy disk driver.
The problem is i cant find a floppy disk drive with USB connection ??
Any alternative way to install window 7 64 bit on raid 0 mode ??

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
ok ! is an Asus P9X79 pro . That wat the manual written to use a floppy disk drive as a raid driver but hardly now can found a floppy disk drive somemore must be USB connected type ?
Will use your way try installed win os can feed back later

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I try to use USB thumb drive but not the file you link up above result is failed . I can raid both drive but until the last part which is the driver loading i load from Asus driver disk . It load ..........but until 80 % it will terminate and prompt for drive not recognize ? I will try your file and feed back ..... i am really tire ,,,,.......

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Yes ...... it is exhausting by research the way to raid Asus X79, i myself have done raid last time but very easy done but now when i read the solution . OMG ..... Isnt intel going to launch a new manual on how to raid a disk of RST, RSTe, MBR or UEFI disk structure in raid mode or AHCI. unplug or not unplug the usb thumbs. GBT vs MBR .
The solution itself is confusing by adding lot of endless debating and long explanation between both super raid user, No step by step solution for already confusing procedure. what we need is simple understanding solution not your technical expertise that we do not understand.
Till now i am afraid of raid-ing till i find a better solution.

SOLUTION :
Let's clarify a few of your vocabulary words first. There is no UEFI disk structure. UEFI replaces the BIOS. So you can either boot via BIOS or UEFI modes. Disk partition tables can either be MBR or GPT. The disk partition table is independent from the BIOS or UEFI booting mode.

I would advise disconnecting any drives that are not your boot drive or optical drives. See if you can get Windows up on just the boot array first using UEFI and GPT if you want. You can add any additional drives after Windows is working. I always disconnect any non boot drives while installing Windows it makes it much simpler for the installer then I add them back once Windows is working, additionally it makes it impossible for Windows to screw up the data on those drives if they are disconnected.

I would also like to hear your reasons for wanting GPT on your boot array. Is your array greater the 2TB if not then there is no real advantage to choosing GPT.

Paul P said:
I should start by saying that I followed jacquith's excellent guide (which should be stickied somewhere) and Sean's guide to the letter and still failed.

The relevant system components :

ASUS P9X79WS motherboard
Intel 520 series 120 Gb SSD
Windows 7 - not service pack 1 - on bootable USB key
Intel RSTe - latest driver from ASUS - november 2012 - used F6 installation
EUFI disk structure - GPT partitions

Through many tries I figured out that the following combinations work ok :

Win 7 + MBR disk structure + RSTe RAID
Win 7 + UEFI disk structure + Windows AHCI

When I attempt to install Win 7, bios set to RAID, using GPT partitions and F6 - RSTe RAID driver, the first stage of the install goes ok, but then on first reboot, the process restarts from the beginning, boots from the USB key and does the first stage over again. At this point the disk is setup up with UEFI's 3 GPT partitions. I've tried taking the USB key out during the first reboot but then the installation can't continue. The interesting thing is I got things to work if I let Windows setup a regular MBR disk structure instead of UEFI.

Since I wasn't intending to use a RAID setup for the moment, I just wanted Intel's supposedly better drivers, I've resigned myself to going with UEFI and AHCI, but I'm wondering why things didn't work ?

Is it possible that my non-service pack 1 windows 7 is the problem ?

Possibly, but unlikely. You can obtain the SP1 install CDs from Microsoft directly at the link below

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os...

More than likely you have your SSD plugged into the add-in SATA III controller which is from ASMedia or Marvell, these ports are located at the bottom and are usually marked SATA_0A and SATA_1A. You must have it attached to the Intel RSTe controller which are located above and are marked SATA_0 and SATA_1.

fancarolina said:
Let's clarify a few of your vocabulary words first. There is no UEFI disk structure. UEFI replaces the BIOS. So you can either boot via BIOS or UEFI modes. Disk partition tables can either be MBR or GPT. The disk partition table is independent from the BIOS or UEFI booting mode.

I would advise disconnecting any drives that are not your boot drive or optical drives. See if you can get Windows up on just the boot array first using UEFI and GPT if you want. You can add any additional drives after Windows is working. I always disconnect any non boot drives while installing Windows it makes it much simpler for the installer then I add them back once Windows is working, additionally it makes it impossible for Windows to screw up the data on those drives if they are disconnected.

I would also like to hear your reasons for wanting GPT on your boot array. Is your array greater the 2TB if not then there is no real advantage to choosing GPT.

GPT is the complimentary boot structure to EFI/UEFI firmwares. EFI/UEFI firmwares have compatibility for MBR formats but GPT must be used for all UEFI/EFI features to work properly. Legacy BIOS firmwares and BIOS OPROMs running in EFI compatibility mode cannot load disks with GPT partition layouts, but will be able to identify them as being populated.

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
tonight i will try out jacquith way as it was more convicing and straight forward . will post the result of fail or flying . below is the way i going to try -

The 'Test' if Intel RSTE drivers are installed properly - BIOS change Intel SATA -> RAID and boot; the resulting BSOD is a tell tale sign you installed Windows 7 improperly and the very old basic (slower) Windows default AHCI driver is installed. Fix = Re-install the OS.

* Other X79's, My experiences with RAID + X79 are on ASUS, and looking at your download page - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... you have a similar F6 driver set; Windows 7 SP1 lacks the X79 chipset RAID driver package.

* ASUS only, if you plan on using SSD Caching then Intel SATA -> AHCI and both the boot HDD and SSD Cache drive must be on 'NON Intel SATA ports' e.g. Marvell, ASMedia, etc; then install Windows normally none of the following pertains to you.

The fix is a PITA, you'll have to back-up all of your data and start from scratch including reformatting your drives to avoid MBR or GPT corruption, and if you have an SSD then it's best to Secure Erase it before installing the OS to insure optimal performance i.e. 'Factory State.' There is to my knowledge no other way.

There are (2) choices: MBR which is more compatible but if any of the HDD's are 2TB or larger then use GPT.

IMO I strongly advise you to create a custom MBR or GPT Flash Drive installer and in addition add the Intel RST driver "SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation)" uncompressed (unzipped) to the Flash Drive in a Folder called 'RAID' in the top directory. Problems have occurred using the DVD + Flash drive. Next, when requested by the Windows installer for the RAID driver open the folder 'RAID' and select the appropriate, I assume, 64-bit drivers and you'll be using the iaStorA.inf.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise drivers:
* Options, if your OEM doesn't offer the latest Intel RSTE drivers:
Download "Intel SATA Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)" F6 Driver -> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... and unzip folder.

You should able to use the latest Intel RST Enterprise drivers (Window and F6) driver package:
Intel RST Enterprise - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...
/ASUS and X79's uses Intel RST Enterprise.

** Safest option, especially if your OEM does offer the latest Intel RSTE drivers:
ASUS & perhaps others - as of the (edit date) ASUS seems to have updated their Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise driver software V3.0.0.xxxx (e.g. 3011) package so use ASUS drivers rather than accidentally using the wrong drivers.

Important note: I strongly recommend setting SATA -> RAID even if you plan to change to AHCI later. This completely avoids Windows from injecting wrong drivers during OS installations and that the procedure is followed properly.

Important note: I strongly recommend not loading the drivers from (2) different sources this is a KNOWN issue (e.g. Windows DVD + Flash Drive for drivers only). The problem 'might' be fixed if you reinsert the USB back where it was during the install, but to me this is a very bad way to correct a problem creating a dependency.

REVIEW FIRST - MBR/GPT/Windows 7 Install Guides -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-inst...
Requirements:
* Windows 7 ; all my installs have been using SP1 but I see no reason the original Windows 7 wouldn't work
* Flash Drive 4GB or larger, I recommend an 8GB+

Preparation MBR:
* Backup data and any registered Apps deauthorize if possible
* Use the latest BIOS and you must use a minimum BIOS version which supports your components.
* Create Bootable Flash Drive MBR USB installer
** Flash Drive -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcSVVPbzIno
* Create a folder on Flash Drive e.g. 'RAID' containing extracted Intel F6 RST drivers

Preparation GPT:
* Backup data and any registered Apps deauthorize if possible
* Use the latest BIOS and you must use a minimum BIOS version which supports your components i.e. 2TB+ HDD(s).
* Create Bootable Flash Drive GPT USB installer
** Flash Drive -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcSVVPbzIno
** Windows Installer for GPT -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDm8rWr3dV8
* Create a folder on Flash Drive e.g. 'RAID' containing extracted Intel F6 RST drivers

Important note: I strongly recommend before installing any OS that you run Memtest86+: Minimum of 2 passes and 4 passes is preferred. The X79 has a lot of DIMM slots and the risk of errors are effectively double, and I've seen several installations that were corrupted from RAM related issues. Create a bootable CD/DVD/USB of Memtest, use the latest version found here -> http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

FIX:
1. BOOT/BIOS:
A. Ctrl + I -> Deleted RAID
B. Boot using either Windows Installer or other Formatting boot utility and delete any partitions, and reformat ; non-boot drives
C. BIOS, change Intel SATA -> RAID ; options may include Hot-swap (fine for data, never boot drives)
D. Ctrl + I -> Setup RAID; before OS if boot drive
E. Save and Exit = Yes

2. Before Re-Installing:
A. Shutdown and physically unplug ALL SATA cables to any non-boot drives
B. SSD ONLY (optional but recommended) - SSD Secure Erase - http://blog.ocztechnology.com/?p=367 ; your SSD may have it's own tools e.g. Samsung offers 'Magician'.

3. Installing: Press F8 and Boot from USB, select 'Install now ->'
A. Select Custom (Advanced)
B. Click on Load Driver, Browse RAID drivers from 'RAID' folder; examples:
'Flash Drive':\...RSTe_V300xxxx_XPWin7\RSTe_V300xxxx_XPWin 7\Driver\Disk\64bit\iaStorA.inf
'Flash Drive':\...RSTe_3.0.0.xxxx_F6-Drivers\RSTe_f6_iaStorA_64\iaStorA.inf
C. Delete any partitions, and reformat
D. Install Windows
E. Finish Windows installation
F. Once in Windows: Install Chipset, Intel RST software/Drivers, and the remainder drivers.
TIP: drivers - use the latest per MOBO's website not the included drivers on the CD/DVD. Copy to primary drive and install.
TIP: drivers - place latest unzipped drivers on Flash Drive in a folder e.g. 'DRIVER PKG', at minimum the Chipset and NIC drivers.

4. Shutdown and reattach all SATA drives

5. BIOS:
A. Ctrl + I -> Setup RAID; if data drives

6. Windows:
A. Registry {note Start values must = 0}:
Either manually verify and change the following registry values or run 'Fix It' - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
B. Management, Disk Management -- add drives and format; if data drives

Reactions: humbertmedeiros
Feb 21, 2019
I try to use USB thumb drive but not the file you link up above result is failed . I can raid both drive but until the last part which is the driver loading i load from Asus driver disk . It load ..........but until 80 % it will terminate and prompt for drive not recognize ? I will try your file and feed back ..... i am really tire ,,,,.......
I was doing the same thing with installing an Intel SATA driver. I had no choice but to install it to a floppy drive (which I miraculously found through a friend of mine). The instructions that came with the drive specified to f6, before installing the Operating system, to specify the drive type for the HHD. Then proceed to install the OS until you get a prompt that indicates the drive not being recognized. Press S to " specify additional devices", that's when your prompted to load the diskette. It was a cumbersome ordeal but in the end, it worked.

Last edited: