Question how to install Windows 10 from a partitioned hard drive "sata" not USB ?

Aug 3, 2022
I want to install Windows 10 on my Windows 7 laptop using the USB drive method I've seen on YouTube.

The problem is that i have to format my laptop's hard drive to install Windows 10 without issues with Windows 7 , but I only have an external hard drive it's written sata on it I am just afraid that I format the wrong drive "the external one" when I format the original hard drive , so how will I know which of them is the external and which I should format .

Note : I can't format my external drive cause it has all my data , so it's kind of a horror movie to me...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You will need to backup all necessary data off of the Win 7 OS/partition. If you label the drives in OS GUI, they should show up the same way in the OS installation window. By label I mean when you go into My Computer, select a partition and hit F2, you should be able to name the drive what you want, something that's easy to remember/recognize.

Aug 3, 2022
I want to install Windows 10 on my Windows 7 laptop using the USB drive method I've seen on YouTube.

The problem is that i have to format my laptop's hard drive to install Windows 10 without issues with Windows 7 , but I only have an external hard drive it's written sata on it I am just afraid that I format the wrong drive "the external one" when I format the original hard drive , so how will I know which of them is the external and which I should format .
https://showbox.tools/
Note : I can't format my external drive cause it has all my data , so it's kind of a horror movie to me...
I got this,...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Unplug the external drive?

Reactions: Alabalcho

DSzymborski

Titan

If all your data simply exists on one eternal drive, the question is when, not if, you'll lose your data. Your problem with inadequate PC upkeep -- keeping backups is basic maintenance that's part of responsible PC ownership -- is far more urgent than upgrading to Windows 10.

In any case, you unplug the external hard drive when you install Windows. A Windows install should only have the OS drive installed.

ASK THE COMMUNITY