How to install windows 10 on a new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corbin Barchet

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
My recent hard drive just died and I'm getting a new one which the old one had windows 10 and I would like to put windows 10 on the new one. How would I go about doing this?

DMP635

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
If you had windows 7 or 8 I would reinstall that and then do all the updates. after you get UPDATE KB3035583 you can upgrade for free. At least for a year. Windows 10 is the start of the subscription model for operating systems. Meaning you will have to pay yearly to keep it updated and working.

USAFRet

Titan

MS has stated categorically that it will not be a paying subscription model. This, of course, may change in the future, but currently, no...there is no yearly payment.

DMP635

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

The letter my company received 2 weeks ago in response to our pre-buy inquiry for server 2016 said different. Windows 10 and Server 2016 are marked to be the base install of what is going to be a perpetual and multi configurable MS OS. When it does do the service pack or whatever they will call it it will be called something like MSOS with distinguishing characteristics. Just a OS that you pay for regularly and will work on any device. They aren't hiding it for their partners.

USAFRet

Titan

The licensing model for servers and VLK is completely different from the consumer OS.
VLK has always been a subscription model.

DMP635

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

I'm sorry if I was unclear. We asked about purchasing both the consumer OS and server licences, and their response was clearly about both. They didn't give firm dates, but you are right, if you never update to the service pack you can keep Windows 10. but it will be unsupported. Why else would they be giving away the OS for free?

USAFRet

Titan
They are 'giving it away for free', because this is basically Windows 8.2.
They need to move people off Windows 7, and also remove the taint of Windows 8. They are hoping to generate revenue via other avenues. The Store, for instance.

Not many people actually 'buy' the OS to upgrade. They get whatever OS comes with a new PC, and use that until it dies. It costs MS little to provide a 'free' upgrade from Win 8.1 or 7.

DMP635

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

I bow to you all mighty Moderator. You must be right. Microsoft lied to us.

USAFRet

Titan

I'm just going by what has been published and what I have read:

Microsoft Addresses Windows 10 Subscription Fears with 10 Year Support Commitment
http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft-addresses-windows-10-subscription-fears-with-10-year-support-commitment/

No, Windows 10 Won’t Require a Subscription: Here’s How Microsoft Plans on Making Money Instead
http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-windows-10-won%E2%80%99t-require-a-subscription-heres-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/

Stopping the FUD: There is no yearly subscription fee for Windows 10
http://www.winbeta.org/news/stopping-fud-there-no-yearly-subscription-fee-windows-10

Might this change in the future? Sure...anything can 'change'. As of today (Aug 15 2015), it seems not.

Reagan_a

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015

Hi,

Thanks for the steps specified above. But what about the activation?
Will it automatically activate the new install of window 10 on the new hard drive once it connects to the internet?

DMP635

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

Windows 10 uses entitlements instead of product keys. Once you do the upgrade you can then do a wipe and reinstall and it activates automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.