How to install Windows 10 on a new SSD for laptop

May 17, 2018
So I bought a laptop with no hard drive and I am going to buy a new one, it had windows 7 installed. my laptop also has a DVD drive in case that might be useful.

After i buy a new ssd and set it up inside my laptop, how how can I get free my copy of Windows 10 without having to purchase a new product key? t seems like if I download an image of Windows 10 on a DVD or USB and I use that to boot on the laptop, it'll ask for a product key to install (which I don't have).

Solution

You're going to buy "what" with Win 7 installed?
A laptop, or a hard drive?

If the hard drive...that Win 7 license is null and void. It goes with whatever system that drive used to live in.

You can install Win 10, and simply skip entering the license key. It will...

R0GG

Distinguished
You can install windows 10 without having a readily product key, which you can buy a license key and install it /activate your windows later (no free upgrades or free licenses available anymore for windows 10)
Here is a detailed tutorial on how to go by doing that:
You Don’t Need a Product Key to Install and Use Windows 10 >> https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

USAFRet

Titan

You're going to buy "what" with Win 7 installed?
A laptop, or a hard drive?

If the hard drive...that Win 7 license is null and void. It goes with whatever system that drive used to live in.

You can install Win 10, and simply skip entering the license key. It will install and run mostly just fine.
But you have no OS license, for when you do want to activate it. That Win 7 is of no consequence.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution