[SOLVED] How to install Windows 10 on a re build

Oct 20, 2019
I rebuilt my computer a few weeks ago, RAM, MB, CPU, and GPU were replaced. I basically only kept the storage. Now, this was my second time building a computer but I really don't understand software at all or how it interacts with the hardware. Here's the story of what happened that you'll be facepalming to:
- skip below for the short story
Read this for a laugh I guess

Long story: When I was doing my research I understood I was supposed to have to reinstall windows 10 since there was a new Motherboard, however, I didn't have a disk or even a USB. I had a windows 7 Home disc which was how I initially installed Windows 10 when they had the free upgrade promotion, but it was not at my home so I ended up installing windows 10 using the installation media on a 4 TB backup drive... I figured that it was probably fine even though I couldn't find any websites to support using a 4 TB backup drive. The purpose of that drive was obviously to back my data up so before I worried about the windows stuff I backed up like 2 TB of stuff on this mechanical drive which took HOURS. Then I read that you need to partition your USB which I did not understand but I downloaded a partition software anyways, just following directions. I tried partitioning it which then erased ALL my storage which took hours to download, and I don't even think I partitioned it. Luckily that was the extra backup drive and all the stuff was backed to a different one. After that whole event though, I was just getting really triggered and wanted to build the thing. I got the installation media downloaded on the hard drive and restarted my computer which booted up to windows asking to download. So now I kinda knew it was gonna work. I also got a picture of my product key for when I start up on the new one.
I go build it, which is also a facepalm story that includes bleeding into my CPU fan so now there are red stains in it... I connect everything up and turns on like normal. However, it takes me straight to entering my password for my profile, no Windows 10 install at all. Everything worked perfectly normal like I didn't change almost every single part in my case. Why didn't windows ask for the key and all that on start? Well, apparently I missed connecting some of the USBs on the top part of my case to the motherboard so there was no connection at all. The hard drive was physically in the USB but not provided power or a connection to the MB. I plug it somewhere else and restart it. Then it asks for installs and stuff, which is now where I'm stumped.

Short story: Before rebuilding my computer I downloaded the Windows 10 installation software to a 4 TB hard drive because I had no other storage options. I had a picture of my Windows 10 Home product key. I replaced my MB, CPU, GPU, and RAM as I said. Upon starting it up, I was directed to my profile and not the Windows 10 install which worked fine to my amazement. This was because I failed to connect my case USBs to my MB. I tried again properly and I was prompted with the expected windows 10 download directions.

Question: What do I do now that my product key is entered and it needs to download? I believe I was given 2 options, upgrade or reinstall. I don't have an upgrade and if I reinstall won't it wipe my memory? Also, I already have windows 10 on one of my SSD so I'm just super confused. Can it just recognize that I have windows 10 already or something like that? And can I just do nothing because it doesn't seem to impede anything except for this annoying label on the bottom right of my monitor asking me to go to Windows settings?
I apologize for this LONG and poorly written story/ question. I just don't really know what I'm doing and won't want to figure out how to manage backup stuff. Maybe there's a shortcut.

Solution
LOL, loved your story, especially bleeding onto your CPU; sounds like something that would happen to me. Back to your install. In order to properly install an operating system, you should have only two storage mediums attached. One being the install media and the other target the OS install. If you have any other storage devices, your PC might divide the operating system over two devices, or as you discovered boot from a drive containing a pre-exsisting operating system. It is not unusual that your old Windows install booted, but because the old installation was not tailored to your new hardware, it will likely lead to long term instability. The reason you're are getting a reinstall or upgrade choice, is becasue the install media is...
LOL, loved your story, especially bleeding onto your CPU; sounds like something that would happen to me. Back to your install. In order to properly install an operating system, you should have only two storage mediums attached. One being the install media and the other target the OS install. If you have any other storage devices, your PC might divide the operating system over two devices, or as you discovered boot from a drive containing a pre-exsisting operating system. It is not unusual that your old Windows install booted, but because the old installation was not tailored to your new hardware, it will likely lead to long term instability. The reason you're are getting a reinstall or upgrade choice, is becasue the install media is reading the ssd with the old operating system. Seeing that Windows 10 is already installed on the drive, the install media is asking the obvious question. Do you want to reinstall windows 10 on this drive or upgrade?

So to do this properly, create an install media as explained in the previous posters link and use that media to install windows on a single drive installed on your PC.

Solution