How To Install Windows 10 To PC with No Optical Drive??!

Pandabear90

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times, but it seems this forum is active, so hopefully someone can help me!

I just ordered Windows 10 off newegg.com for a custom gaming PC i'm building. I'm not sure if its coming as a CD or USB, probably a CD?

Regardless, I am thinking about purchasing a computer case that omits the optical drive.

So I was wondering what I would have to do to install Windows 10 if it comes in a CD.

I was reading to use the following link below, download it on to my USB drive and thats it? Then I would just put it on my new computer and use the CD Key I get from the Windows 10 Disc I just bought?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Can someone just clarify the steps/process for me once I receive the Windows 10 disc.

Thanks!

Solution

Your link is the same as mine.
Click on "Download tool now"
Install that, run it, create your USB.

When you're ready to install:
Have only the one target...

USAFRet

Titan
Unless you specifically bought the USB version, it will be on a DVD.

You can make your own USB with the MediaCreation tool, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
(as you linked in your post)

Create your USB, and use the license key that comes with whatever you bought from Newegg.

Pandabear90

Reputable
May 19, 2015

Sorry, just to clarify the link I posted is the same thing as what you posted?

It brings me to 2 different pages?

Also, once I do download on to USB, I don't need to do anything else besides utilizing the CD Key that comes with the Windows 10 I purchased right?

USAFRet

Titan

Your link is the same as mine.
Click on "Download tool now"
Install that, run it, create your USB.

When you're ready to install:
Have only the one target drive connected.
Boot from that USB
Install
When it asks for the license key, enter what came with the thing you bought from Newegg.

Solution