How to install Windows 10 without disabling SecureBoot and FastBoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
I'm on a Samsung laptop that came with Windows 8, I downloaded Windows 10 ISO and wanted to install fresh from the USB, then this happened:

1. The USB drive won't show up on the boot menu if I don't disable FastBoot in the BIOS.
    2. The USB won't boot if I don't disable secure boot in the BIOS.

So I do disabled FastBoot and SecureBoot and the USB drive boots up normally and Windows 10 gets installed.

One problem that I found is that if I enable SecureBoot back again after having installed Windows 10 it won't boot anymore until I disable SecureBoot.

My question is, is it possible to install it without disabling secure boot? (I tried Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool and Rufus 2.2 to create the bootable USB). And if not am I really missing something by keeping SecureBoot off on the BIOS?

Thanks

Solution
In order to successfully boot from the USB with SecureBoot turned ON I had to create a bootable USB using Rufus with the partition scheme option set to "GPT partition scheme for UEFI", the default is always "MBR partition shceme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM" which does not work with SecureBoot ON.

FastBoot must be kept OFF in order to get my USB drive showing up on the boot menu (F8 or F10 during boot on Samsung laptops).

When you install Windows with SecureBoot ON you will notice that Windows 10 will create 3 supporting partitions instead of just one additional partition, they are displayed as follows: Recovery, System, MSR (Reserved) and then the Primary partition.

312v5fd.jpg

Samat

Distinguished
Have you already upgraded it to Windows 10 from within Windows? You need to do this first before you can do a clean install of Windows 10.

Edit.
During the install have the boot mode set to UEFI, and disable fast and secure boot (like you have already done). Check that the boot mode was set to uefi, otherwise it should have worked the way you did it.

It does not seem to be possible to install without disabling secure boot (and fast boot if you boot from usb).

Paul F

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014

I did try upgrading from within Windows 8.1 but the upgrade failed 3 times, even after removing the antivirus and some bloatware, so I decided to go fresh.

I believe I had the boot mode set to UEFI + CSM when secure boot was disabled since I couldn't get the usb drive to boot the installation when it was set to just UEFI.

I did manage to install it with secure boot turned ON, see my solution bellow and thanks a lot for the advise!

Paul F

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
In order to successfully boot from the USB with SecureBoot turned ON I had to create a bootable USB using Rufus with the partition scheme option set to "GPT partition scheme for UEFI", the default is always "MBR partition shceme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM" which does not work with SecureBoot ON.

FastBoot must be kept OFF in order to get my USB drive showing up on the boot menu (F8 or F10 during boot on Samsung laptops).

When you install Windows with SecureBoot ON you will notice that Windows 10 will create 3 supporting partitions instead of just one additional partition, they are displayed as follows: Recovery, System, MSR (Reserved) and then the Primary partition.

312v5fd.jpg

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.