How to install windows 10 without disk drive?

drugdealingfox

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
I was an idiot and bought a CD with windows 10 on it, without realizing I didn't have a CD drive. I read that you can just use a USB, which is find and dandy to boot up windows 10, but how do I get my product key from the CD? Is it contained within the packaging, or will I need to boot up the CD?

Thanks to those who clear this up for me, I'm not very tech savvy so I'm sorry for the dumb question!

Edit: Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm sorry for writing a quick post with few details, however the movers for my house are here today so i'll be without wifi. Just wanted to post it ASAP and check the answer later. I chose the best solution pretty quickly, and while I appreciate the input, Math Geek definitely helped me the most so props to you man! Sorry I chose so quickly.

I'm building a new PC and this is my first time. I realized after I had placed the order for everything and did some quick research, but if all I need to do is take the product key from the packaging the CD comes in and use that, I'm good.

Thanks again everyone, appreciate it!

Solution

It should have come on/in the box on a little slip of paper or something similar. You can install without USB using a mounting tool, such as daemon tools or powerISO.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

It should have come on/in the box on a little slip of paper or something similar. You can install without USB using a mounting tool, such as daemon tools or powerISO.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the key should be in the packaging for the disk. usually a sticker stuck to the dvd holder. that is all you need from that. then create a usb stick to install from. you can use the media creator from MS to create it rather easily. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

that's all you have to do. again the key should be with the windows dvd you bought. if it is not, then you need to contact where ever you bought it from and sort it out with them

and if this is an upgrade from win 7/8, you can simply use the media creator to download an iso file and then mount it and install form there. you get the same upgrade options as if you booted to a disk/usb. done it many times myself.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

Unless you require "Assistive Technology" Then you can get it for free :). Note you can not upgrade to 10 from some versions of window.

rgd1101

Don't

the OP already bought the windows 10. just need the media. What Math Geek said sound right

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

My comment was taking into account the possibility he may not have the activation key.

Colif

Win 11 Master
good thing he was doing an upgrade as you cannot fresh install Win 10 using a mounted iso, Math Geek tried that before

the install process restarts during the process and it only looks at removable storage to boot off at that stage. USB or DVD, nothing else.