Question How to install Windows 10

kaiozaslan

Prominent
Aug 28, 2018
I have a brand new PC that I'm trying to install Windows 10 onto. The specs are as follows:
Maximus XI Hero
i7 8700k
1080ti
32 GB RAM
2 TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive
250 GB 970 Pro M.2

I downloaded Windows 10 onto a flash drive. I then go into my bios and choose that flash drive as the boot drive, but rather than booting into the setting up windows screen, it keeps going back into the BIOS. Am I doing something wrong?

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
I have a brand new PC that I'm trying to install Windows 10 onto. The specs are as follows:
Maximus XI Hero
i7 8700k
1080ti
32 GB RAM
2 TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive
250 GB 970 Pro M.2

I downloaded Windows 10 onto a flash drive. I then go into my bios and choose that flash drive as the boot drive, but rather than booting into the setting up windows screen, it keeps going back into the BIOS. Am I doing something wrong?
Most modern PC's should boot straight from the USB, and if it didn't you did the right thing by selecting the USB as the boot drive. I would try plugging the USB right into the motherboard's USB 3.0 port if you haven't already, while the PC is off, then start it up and see if the installation window pops up. For me, my PC booted right from the USB so I didn't experience this problem.

Did you plug the drive into a USB port on the motherboard or one on the PC case?

On some REALLY old systems you would have trouble booting from USB sticks off the front panel connections, but the OP's system is brand new. This hasn't really been a serious problem for like 10 years now.

didn't work. i'm thinking i'll try to do it off of a windows laptop, because i've been doing it off of a mac

Were you running Windows on your Mac? Because otherwise this would be impossible. The Media Creation Tool can't run under MacOS. You could probably set up the drive if you are able to download the relevant ISO file and set it up through Boot Camp Assistant, but doing it that way may result in problems as pertaining to SecureBoot settings in the UEFI BIOS of your PC. Try turning SecureBoot off and see if you get a different result?

If you run the Media Creation Tool from a Windows machine to set up an install drive, SecureBoot should work without any problems. If SecureBoot is not important to you, then you can leave it off.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is the USB drive made by Sandisk as some of their USB sticks seen as external hdd and PC won't boot off them

try using another USB.

If its a never used motherboard it shouldn't need any settings changed to boot off a USB